Question about 2010 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
Push started, ran fine but volt gauge showed 16 volts while running. Rode home about 20 miles, tried to start, turned over slowly then just clicked, tried jumping, still the same.
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi Anonymous, perform the following tests:
1. Fill acid type batteries to proper levels.
2. Charge battery overnight at 1-2 amps you need 12 volts or better after charging.
3. Make sure all connections are clean and tight especially the negative cable at both ends.
4. Hook up volt meter to battery and start engine, if meter falls below 9.5 v replace battery.
5. With engine running at 3600 RPM battery should read 14.3-14.7 volts if not continue tests.
6. Unplug voltage regulator from alternator at crankcase by front of primary cover.
7. To test voltage regulator go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EjV0IjW9Q
8. With ohm meter, one lead grounded, touch alternator pin meter should read infinity, if not replace stator.
9. With ohm meter, both leads touching alternator pins meter should read 0.1 to 0.2 ohms on 1989 and later models. 0.2 to 0.4 ohms 1988 and earlier models, if not replace stator.
10. With volt meter set on AC scale, both leads touching alternator pins meter should read
16 to 20 volts AC for every 1000 RPM'S 1989 and later and 19 to 26 volts AC for every 1000 RPMS. If not replace rotor. Good luck
Posted on May 15, 2015
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
It sounds like you've got a bad battery. Sometimes a battery gets what I call and intermittant short inside the battery, A battery is made up of six two volt cells. If one cell shorts, the battery is now a 10 volt battery. But depending on which cell shorts, the battery could become a 4 volt battery.
How old is the battery? If it's over two years old, buy a new one. If not, take it to an automotive parts house and have them load test it. Even then it may no show up. I have a battery that would not start the automobile it was in after I shut off for five minutes after driving over a hundred miles. I had it checked several times and it always checked good but would leave me stranded one time after the next. I finally bought a new battery and that solved the problem. Batteries are funny sometimes but when your ride won't start, that ain't funny. Harley Davidson offers a very good GASMAT battery at a reasonable price now.
The next time it does this. When the clicking starts, notice the headlight. If the headlight is out, the battery is bad. If the headlight is on, replace the starter relay. A one inch cube that energizes the start circuit located under the seat or on the left panel of the bike.
Posted on Apr 06, 2010
Sounds like you had a cell in the battery short out temporarily. We call this an "intermittent short". Take the battery to an automotive parts house and ask them if they can test the battery for you. If the battery is over two years old, they are subject to do this. The reason, vibration mostly but on some bikes like the Softail that has the battery in the middle of the horseshoe oil tank, heat is a factor as well. Sometimes an intermittent short will not show up in a load test. If it continues to do this, I'd just replace the battery.
The reason I say this is if one cell shorts, the voltage of the battery drops. How much it drops depends on which cell shorts. The battery is made up of six 2-volt cell wired in series. Depending on which cell shorts the voltage out of the battery can vary from nothing to 10 volts when the cell shorts.
Posted on Jun 14, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 14, 2014 | Generac Electrical Supplies
Jan 01, 2014 | 2010 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
Dec 09, 2013 | 2003 Buick Rendezvous
Jan 13, 2013 | 2008 Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
Jan 03, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 23, 2011 | 1998 Ford Expedition
Feb 20, 2011 | Chevrolet Cobalt Cars & Trucks
Aug 26, 2009 | JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Toy Vehicle
Jun 09, 2009 | 1989 Subaru Gl Wagon
126 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: