Question about 2008 Harley Davidson FXDL Dyna Low Rider
Put bike on trailer with fob in front pouch for about 2 hrs. when I got parked I tried starting the bike but wouldn't start. jumped it off finally started ,,let run for an hour then rode it for awhile, got home turned it off,,wouldn't start again
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi Anonymous, perform the following tests:
1. Fill acid type batteries to proper levels.
2. Charge battery overnight at 1-2 amps you need 12 volts or better after charging.
3. Make sure all connections are clean and tight especially the negative cable at both ends.
4. Hook up volt meter to battery and start engine, if meter falls below 9.5 v replace battery.
5. With engine running at 3600 RPM battery should read 14.3-14.7 volts if not continue tests.
6. Unplug voltage regulator from alternator at crankcase by front of primary cover.
7. To test voltage regulator go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EjV0IjW9Q
8. With ohm meter, one lead grounded, touch alternator pin meter should read infinity, if not replace stator.
9. With ohm meter, both leads touching alternator pins meter should read 0.1 to 0.2 ohms on 1989 and later models. 0.2 to 0.4 ohms 1988 and earlier models, if not replace stator.
10. With volt meter set on AC scale, both leads touching alternator pins meter should read
16 to 20 volts AC for every 1000 RPM'S 1989 and later and 19 to 26 volts AC for every 1000 RPMS. If not replace rotor. Good luck
Posted on May 16, 2015
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
sounds like the starter solonoid is not working properly if the batt cable got hot enough to smoke that says the batt, is ok and it is ok to jump with car, the solonoid is making the clicking noise and a real hot batt sometimes will make it work, the repair is simple and cheap if you are talented just get a solonoid repair kit three screws 5 min, and you are RIDEING.
Posted on Dec 31, 2008
It sounds like you've got a bad battery. Sometimes a battery gets what I call and intermittant short inside the battery, A battery is made up of six two volt cells. If one cell shorts, the battery is now a 10 volt battery. But depending on which cell shorts, the battery could become a 4 volt battery.
How old is the battery? If it's over two years old, buy a new one. If not, take it to an automotive parts house and have them load test it. Even then it may no show up. I have a battery that would not start the automobile it was in after I shut off for five minutes after driving over a hundred miles. I had it checked several times and it always checked good but would leave me stranded one time after the next. I finally bought a new battery and that solved the problem. Batteries are funny sometimes but when your ride won't start, that ain't funny. Harley Davidson offers a very good GASMAT battery at a reasonable price now.
The next time it does this. When the clicking starts, notice the headlight. If the headlight is out, the battery is bad. If the headlight is on, replace the starter relay. A one inch cube that energizes the start circuit located under the seat or on the left panel of the bike.
Posted on Apr 06, 2010
If the bike is losing ALL power, I'm talking about dash lights, headlight, tail light, ALL lights, it's probably something tripping the main breaker. The breaker should be located either under the seat or behind the trianglular panel on the right side of the bike. I'd look for a frayed wire near the starter or around the rear cylinder due to the head in that area.
Posted on Nov 13, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 02, 2017 | Dodge Cars & Trucks
May 18, 2017 | 2007 kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
May 28, 2012 | 2001 Suzuki VL 1500 Intruder LC
Aug 14, 2011 | 2009 Harley Davidson FXCWC Rocker C
Mar 28, 2010 | 2006 kawasaki ZX-14
Oct 03, 2009 | 2000 Hyundai Elantra
Aug 05, 2009 | 1991 kawasaki Zephyr 750
Jul 09, 2009 | 1993 kawasaki ZXR 750
Jul 09, 2009 | 1990 kawasaki ZXR 750
Oct 23, 2017 | Yamaha Motorcycles
117 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: