Question about 2001 Yamaha V-Max
Bike has only 13000mi,less than500 since a 4 into 1 kerker w/jet kit was installed by yamaha dealer
Hi, Dwtlvn your instrument gauges and lights can alert you to most electrical and engine issues they can not warn you about failed engine gaskets or seals so your engine has to resort to old fashion alert methods of colored "SMOKE SIGNALS" here is a breakdown of their meaning:
1. COLORLESS OR SLIGHTLY BLUE SMOKE on start-up means your air/fuel mixture is at the right composition and everything is well burnt in your combustion chamber.
2. BLUE SMOKE on start-up is usually caused by failed valve seals dripping oil into the combustion chamber when the engine is not running.
3. YELLOW OR BROWNISH SMOKE at start-up means your air/fuel mixture is too lean. Too lean means that there is low fuel but high air mixture in your combustion chamber.
4. WHITE SMOKE on start-up may be caused by a blown head gasket allowing coolant to enter the combustion chamber and may start dripping out of the exhaust pipes or mufflers. Smoke while riding is usually caused by worn out or damaged valves, seals, guides, pistons, rings, or cylinder walls.
5. BLACK SMOKE on start-up is usually caused by too much fuel in the combustion chamber this can be due to air/fuel mixture adjustment too rich, accelerator pump improperly adjusted, faulty choke/enrichner or not in the off position, air filter dirty and clogged, faulty carburetor float needle and seat, pilot jet too large, fuel injectors leaking, smoke while riding is usually caused by the main jet being too large or a damaged carburetor.
It should be noted that aggressive or abnormal throttle operation will cause these conditions to manifest themselves exponentially.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Thread Blowing Smoke at Idle
Yamaha VMX12H Supplementary Service Manual
OEM parts for Yamaha
YAMAHA VMX12 Owner Manual
Posted on Jun 12, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Yamaha 2002 TTr 250
Look around your bike near where the throttle cable meets the engine, when you pull the throttle, the cable pulls a quarter circle piece of metal which is connected to a spring, then connected to that should be a screw, that is the idle screw, turn it very slightly, usually clockwise to make the idle higher, and this should sort out the problem.
Please remember to rate this solution as FixYa!
Posted on Apr 12, 2009
Pull the slides from the throat of the carbs, Move the clip on the jet needles one notch lower, two notches at the most. Simple and didn't cost $400.
Posted on May 06, 2009
sounds like the floats are stuck. cleaning carbs should do the trick. its a good practice to start up motorcycles and let them warm up from time to time while being stored.
Posted on May 07, 2009
You will have to adjust the float pin of tht particular carb and don't remove them off the rack..just pull them out of the engine and work on the one tht needs attention.
Hope this helps!
Posted on Sep 06, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 04, 2014 | Garden
Dec 01, 2013 | 1986 kawasaki GPz 1000 RX
Hi, What Fuel/oil ratio are using?
I'd strongly suggest 40:1 with fully synthetic 2T oil and
How is the bike's compression? It should be165-215PSI. If
it is less than this install new correct size piston and rings and use new gaskets.
If the bike is still splutter and blowing lots of smoke then raise the main jet needle by one notch.
Dec 12, 2012 | 2000 KTM EXC 380
Jan 23, 2011 | Gas Gas SM 250 Motorcycles
Oct 11, 2010 | Ryobi Garden
Feb 04, 2010 | Kohler CH25 PA-CH730-0040 Command Gasoline...
Jun 21, 2009 | 2008 kawasaki Ninja 250R
Jan 15, 2009 | 2002 Yamaha V-Max
81 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: