Question about 1998 BMW R 1100 RT (ABS)
Hi, Christian if your bike has been sitting idle for months or years and you did not do any pre-storage maintenance I feel your pain it will probably have a dead battery and not want to start or if it starts it will idle and run poorly, here are the following steps necessary to complete in order to get your bike back to an acceptable running condition.
1. If your battery was 3 years or older when you last had the bike running you should replace it.
2. If you believe your battery might still be serviceable remove it from the bike and put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for 24 hours. If it is the old lead acid type with visible cells and acid levels fill each cell to the top line with distilled water and replace the caps, run the vent tube into a plastic or styrofoam cup, any cells that are cloudy/milky replace the battery.
3. After charging remove the leads and let the battery sit for a couple of hours then check the battery voltage with a volt meter, you should have 12.5 volts or better, any readings in the 11 volt range you need to do a proper load test on the battery and replace as necessary, any readings in the 10 volt range you have a dead cell and replace the battery.
4. Drain and flush fuel tank, google " how to clean a motorcycle gas tank" find a couple forums to view the different options available.
5. Remove your air cleaner and clean and re-oil per Mfg. specifications.
6. Remove the carburetor, disassemble and decontaminate with a carb dip or if you have EFI remove injectors and clean with carb spray and compressed air
7. Remove fuel valve and filter disassemble and clean as necessary, remove fuel lines and replace with new ones.
8. Replace spark plug with a new one and check for spark.
For more information about your issue please visit the websites below. Good luck and have a nice day. R1100rt will not start
BMW Motorcycle Parts Fiche OEM BMW Motorcycle Parts online 1970 present BMW
Posted on Dec 30, 2015
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 11, 2017 | Lincoln Mark VIII Cars & Trucks
Oct 30, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Sep 14, 2015 | 2000 Buick Park Avenue
Aug 16, 2014 | 2008 Ford Escape
May 26, 2014 | 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander
Nov 30, 2013 | 2006 Lincoln Mark LT
Mar 19, 2013 | 1990 Volkswagen Jetta
Nov 27, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 08, 2011 | 1997 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup
54 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: