Question about 2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Don't know much about bikes. Bought a new battery, installed that. Bike turns over but just wont start. I did winterize it prior to storage. Help please.
Hi, Kyle if your bike has been sitting idle for months or years and you did not do any pre-storage maintenance I feel your pain it will probably have a dead battery and not want to start or if it starts it will idle and run poorly, here are the following steps necessary to complete in order to get your bike back to an acceptable running condition.
1. If your battery was 2-3 years old when you last had the bike running you should replace it.
2. If you believe your battery might still be serviceable remove it from the bike and put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for 24 hours. If it is the old lead acid type with visible cells and acid levels fill each cell to the top line with distilled water and replace the caps, run the vent tube into a plastic or styrofoam cup, any cells that are cloudy/milky replace the battery.
3. After charging remove the leads and let the battery sit for a couple of hours then check the battery voltage with a volt meter, you should have 12.5 volts or better, any readings in the 11 volt range you need to do a proper load test on the battery and replace as necessary, any readings in the 10 volt range you have a dead cell and replace the battery.
4. Drain and flush fuel tank, google " how to clean a motorcycle gas tank" find a couple forums to view the different options available.
5. Remove your air cleaner and clean and re-oil per Mfg. specifications.
6. Remove the carburetor, disassemble and decontaminate with a carb dip or if you have EFI remove injectors and clean with carb spray and compressed air
7. Remove fuel valve and filter disassemble and clean as necessary, remove fuel lines and replace with new ones.
8. Replace spark plug with a new one and check for spark.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the links below. Good luck and have a nice day.
Re My Yahama Star 1100 wont start Road Star Forum Yamaha Road Star
2007 Star 650 Classic Low Idle Problems Starting
OEM parts for Yamaha
Posted on May 09, 2016
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
you can take out the plugs - inject a little engine oil, crank the engine 5-6 times and reinstall, support the bike so the weight is off the tires, drain the gas and spray the tank with a rust preventative....
Posted on Nov 18, 2008
Hi and welcome to FixYa,
Initially, determine if there is a clicking sound when the START button is pressed. The click is significant. If there is, this indicates that the starting relay is engaging but for some reason, the starter motor is not cranking. This could either indicate a faulty starter relay (particularly the contacts) or a faulty starter motor (specifically, the carbon brushes). To determine which:
Good luck and thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Feb 22, 2009
sounds more like a fuel problem to me. is it cold there did you use stabilizer in the gas? try some berrymans B12 in the gas it cleans everything up internally. it worked for me
Posted on Mar 21, 2009
SOURCE: 95 xv750 Virago fuel leak
Probabilly a stuk carburettor float or needle.
Try to solve this problem to gently tap on the carburettor bodies. If this doesn't help you have to clean out the carburettors, and/or replace the float neeldes
Posted on Apr 02, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 17, 2014 | Motorcycles
May 11, 2014 | 2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Apr 02, 2014 | 2005 Harley Davidson FLSTSC - FLSTSCI...
Apr 22, 2013 | 2003 Yamaha V Star Classic
Feb 27, 2013 | 2002 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Sep 12, 2011 | 2003 Yamaha V Star Classic
May 08, 2010 | 2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Apr 09, 2010 | 2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
Mar 18, 2009 | 2001 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Oct 23, 2017 | Yamaha Motorcycles
28 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: