Question about 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
The battery is charged, there is gas and the bike runs great but when I turn the key on the ignition none of the lights come on and nothing happens when I push the start button. It is like the battery is completely dead but I know it isn't.
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous before testing any electrical component in the Starting System it is "IMPERATIVE" that you have a fully charged battery of 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage, the battery is faulty and must be replaced. AGM type batteries fall into this scenario more so than lead acid batteries.
1. Ignition Switch not in the "ON" position.
2. Engine Run Switch in the "OFF" position.
3. Check the battery terminals for damage or corrosion check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter.
4. Bank angle sensor needs a reset or is faulty.
5. FOB battery low or dead.
6. Faulty ignition switch.
7. Faulty starter button.
8. Faulty kickstand, clutch, neutral safety switch.
9. Security alarm needs a reset.
10. Starter relay, solenoid, starter have failed or circuit wiring faulty.
11. Starter armature or field coils have failed.
12. Main fuse or circuit breaker may be blown or faulty.
13. The electric starter is working but starter clutch has failed.
14. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
1984 Honda Shadow VT500 Won start
What Do Check When My Motorcycle Won Start Honda Shadow Forums Shadow...
Posted on Jul 13, 2017
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Try to jump start the bike, 2nd gear down hill key on and let the clutch out... If it starts you have a starter problem, could be the brushes.. good luck...
Posted on May 28, 2009
check starter relay first this will be the part thats clicking and will have two thick battery leads on it,,,if you short across the two thick battery leads the starter should turn the engine over,,if this works change the relay,,if nothing happens when you short the two battery leads across then its a starter fault
Posted on Aug 18, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
May 13, 2013 | 1984 Honda VF 500 F
Sep 08, 2012 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jun 21, 2017 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Nov 22, 2010 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Sep 27, 2010 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Aug 08, 2010 | 1984 Honda vt 500 ft ascot
May 06, 2010 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jul 24, 2009 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jun 20, 2009 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Apr 21, 2018 | Harley Davidson Motorcycles
95 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: