30AMP FUSE KEEPS BLOWING WHEN I CONNECT THE BATTERY
PLEASE HELP.. I LET MY BATTERY RUN DOWN BY LEAVING THE LIGHTS ON TOO LONG WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING. I CHARGED THE BATTERY UP ALL NIGHT AND WHEN I TRIED CONNECTING IT UP THE BATTERY WAS SPARKING WHEN I WAS PUTTING THE POSITIVE WIRE BACK IN AND THEN BLEW THE 30AMP FUSE.. I HAVE REPLACED THE FUSE AND TRIED CONNECTING THE BATTERY AFTER AND IT DOES THE SAME..??
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hi, Jonathan you have a dead short which is usually the easiest to find. Using a test light connected to the hot side of the blown fuse holder, start probing the wire leaving the fuse holder about an inch away the test light should illuminate, keep probing towards the ignition switch until the test light no longer illuminates you are now very close to the short. For more information about your issue, please visit the websites below. Good luck and have a nice day. https://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/search/0/1994+yamaha+fzr600r
Well that is a big problem... Check the main battery cable to see if it is accidentally grounding anywhere. That also goes for any cables coming from the starter solenoid. If you're blowing the main fuse it is likely something big. I mean what is that like a 30amp fuse?
Personally, unless I was stranded somewhere, I wouldn't jump start the bike. I'd rather recharge the battery and try to start the engine again. But, you may wish to find out why the engine is not starting rather than continue to run down the battery or take a chance of damaging electronic components with a voltage spike. You didn't tell me what year and model the bike was nor whether it's carbureted or fuel injected. If's it's been sitting for an extended period of time, the fuel system may be gummed up due to the fuel evaporating and leaving the gummy residue to stop up the fuel passageways. But, if you still want to jump start the engine, connect the jumper cable directly to the battery in the bike, positive side first to positive post of the battery. Connect the negative from the car's frame or engine to the bikes engine or frame last. This prevents a spark and the possibility of the battery blowing up your face. I've had it happen before and it ain't fun.
I would say the ignition switch wiring is incorrect. The first possition should feed horn, brake light and ignition and position two will run the lights. So find the wire that feeds the horn and brakes then remove it from position two and connect it to position one leaving the lights on position two. Hope that helps..