New '08 F800ST less than 1000miles on it suddenly won't start. Sat unused in Garage for about 3 weeks. Went to start it and get clicking sound from underneath front left fairing. On-Board Computer and Dials (Speed and Tech) seem to reset themselves immediately after attempting to start.
Pulled battery and connected to Cheap $20 Wal-Mart Battery Charger which reported the battery was good with full charge. Reconnected Battery, bike still won't start. OBC and Dials light up, then push start button, clicking sounds start, release button OBC and Dials reset themselves.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It sounds like the float needle valves are lletting gas run into the bowl,in turn running gas into the motor,and fouling the spark plugs. Have you noticed if the oil level seems to be going UP,or the fuel level is going down? Kawasaki motorcycles are prone to leaking needle valves in the carbs for some reason. And the longer it sits,the worse its going to get.Try this,...pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet with fuel.Then,unhook the coils,and spin the motor over with the plugs out.If it shoots raw fuel about a foot out of each or ANY cylinder,then that is your problem. JUST BE SURE TO DISABLE THE COILS BEFORE SPINNING MOTOR OVER,AND DONT BE CLOSE TO THE PLUG HOLES WHEN YOU SPIN IT OVER!! Good Luck!
First, what color is the fouling on the plug? Obviously the plug will need to be changed. It almost sounds like there is something mixed in with the gas causing the plug to build up. IUf the bike has been sitting for a long time with the same gas in it - have the gas tank emptied(it needs to be taken off the bike and flushed out) and have the carburetor cleaned too.
If there was some point at which you drained the battery too much (left the ignition or parking light on) and then recharged the batttery, the battery will no longer hold a full 12 volt charge, nor will it ever be able to hold a charge for more than a week thereafter. You need a new battery.
The other solution is a little obvious though -- why leave such a beautiful bike hiding in the garage for that long anyway?
Your running off the battery until it dies. Check your chargng system. It should put out 13.0-14.5 volts. If not then the current will flow from what ever source has the most voltage. Thus, your dead battery. Try changing he voltage regulator and then check the stator next. Sometime stators can have burned section on them and reduce the voltage produced to the battery. Also check for really good connectin to the terminals. This can rob current and voltage by upt o 40%.
Remove the negative battery connection and leave it disconnected for about 15 minutes. That should reset your engine management system. I would try a different battery if you have one handy, or maybe put yours on a battery charger. For the problem to appear suddenly after six weeks without running the bike my best guess is the battery is not functioning properly.
my first thought is that something is wet, which is possible since you just washed it. However you said it sat for a couple of days...... I doubt that it is to much fuel in the engine, you have strong spark?