Question about 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Honda cx500 c misfire@
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
3. Spark plugs in bad condition or partially fouled.
4. Spark plug cables in bad condition and leaking check for spark leakage in the dark
5. Spark plug gap too close or too wide.
6. Faulty ignition coil, module, and or sensor.
7. Loose, dirty, or corroded ignition module connector at crankcase.
8. Faulty CKP or CMP, MAP, ETS, ATS, TPS, O2 sensor.
9. Dirty air filter.
10. Intake air leak.
11. Water, dirt, or rust in the fuel system.
12. Carburetor contaminated, sticky float, plugged jets.
13. Carburetor vacuum diaphragm torn, cracked, not seated or installed improperly.
14. Multiple carburetors out of sync.
15. Fuel filter clogged.
16. Old or contaminated fuel.
17. Fuel tank vent system plugged or carb vent line closed off.
18. Gas cap diaphragm valve faulty.
19. Vacuum line from intake manifold to fuel valve is broken, cracked, pinched, or missing.
20. Carburetor controls misadjusted.
21. Incorrect valve timing.
22. Valve springs floating, weak, or broken.
23. Damaged intake or exhaust valve.
24. Incompatible performance parts.
25. Control module may be in "LIMP" mode
26. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Left cylinder misfiring under acceleration
Concours Owners GroupTM Sport touring at its finest SM
Honda CX500 Shop Manual
Honda CX500 CUSTOM Owner Manual
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Nov 03, 2017
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
under the carbs there is a little black screw turn this by hand anti clockwise until 1-1500 revs if this doesnt work the choke may not be going all the way off or pilot screws under float bowls in recess been adjusted too far screw gently all the way in DO NOT over tighten then unscrew approx 1.5 turns out on both carbs if your experiencing flooding from carbs the bowls need to be removed and the pilot jet attached to the float needs replacing hope this helps steve
Posted on Aug 06, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 02, 2013 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Feb 25, 2013 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Feb 12, 2013 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Dec 07, 2012 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Nov 12, 2012 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Aug 22, 2012 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Jul 07, 2012 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
Apr 21, 2012 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
May 27, 2011 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
May 10, 2010 | 1980 Honda CX 500 A
160 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: