For the Cobra PR4700WX:
The user's manual is available hereTo
turn on/off the long range mode
- (If you are referring to low & high power); Press and hold the Hi•Low/Enter button for two seconds.
Alternately, if you are referring to the Light/Max Range (receive sensitivity), 3 options:
1. To briefly turn off auto squelch - Press the Light/Max Range button for less than five seconds. If you hear two beeps, you have turned the maximum range extender on.
2. To turn maximum range extender on - Press and hold the Light/Max Range button for at least five seconds until you hear
two beeps which indicates the maximum range extender is on.
3. To turn maximum range extender off - Press and release the Light/Max Range button or change channels.
Probable reason that "fishing was all right but for hunting there is to much static" is becasue these radios operate on line of sight principle. Anything that obstructs the linear view would reduce signal strength/range. There is not that much obstruction when fishing compared to that when hunting in the woods or rough uneven terrain.
Please note that when using Channels 1 through 7 and 15 through 22 on high power, the Hi icon will be visible on the display. When using those channels on low power and on Channels 8 through 14, the Low icon will be visible on the display.
For the Cobra PR3500DX:
The user's manual is available here
transmission message icon off when not in use
- this icon will only display if the radio is receiving something or if your are pressing the PTT button.The
other three the transmission signal is on at all times
- indicates that either you are transmitting (unlikely) or the radio is in constant receive mode (most likely). I would venture a guess that the Auto Squelch is switched "OFF" or Maximum Range is switched "ON"
Both the 4700 & 3500 has Power
and it is a built-in feature. Your radios have this unique circuit designed that extend battery life. If there are no transmissions for 10 seconds, the radio will automatically switch to Battery Save mode and the Power Saver icon will flash in the display. This will not affect the radio’s ability to receive incoming transmissions.
Hope that this be of some help/idea. Pls post back how things turned out or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.