Question about Harley Davidson Motorcycles
The bike won't start - only somtime when i engage the clutch
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi Anonymous, when checking for spark the CKP needs to measure the compression bump in order to send the correct signal to the ICM/ECM so always check for spark with either a third plug grounded or lift the end of the plug boot 1/2 " off one of spark plugs that are in the head. and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty
2. Fuel supply valve turned off.
3. Fouled spark plugs.
4. Engine flooded with gasoline as a result of over use of enrichner.
5. Fuel valve or filter clogged.
6. Vacuum hose to automatic fuel supply valve disconnected, leaking, or pinched.
7. Discharged battery, loose or broken battery connections especially the negative cable at "BOTH" ends
8. Loose wire connection at coil, battery or plug between ignition sensor and module.
9. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting, spark plug cable connections loose,
or cables connected to wrong cylinders.
10. Ignition timing incorrect due to faulty ignition coil, ignition module, or sensors " Manifold Absolute Pressure" "Camshaft Position Sensor" "Crank Position Sensor" "Brake Apply Sensor
11. Engine lubricant to heavy ( winter operation )
12. Sticking or damaged valves or push rod wrong length.
13. Primary cam sproket spline sheared or missing spacer.
14. Security alarm system not disarming.
For a primary suspect please visit the website below. Good luck and have nice day. Harley Diagnostic Codes 04 to Present
Set Change Override Transport Harley Security Alarm PIN Code No Key Fob...
Posted on Jun 27, 2015
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Triumph Daytona 675
So I just had this exact problem about an hour ago. I wondered about the starter, crankshaft, etc. but discarded them for the simplest explanation: battery.
I'm sure you've all noticed how absurdly easy it is to mistakenly miss the steering lock and put the parking lights on. Odds are you may have done this without realizing (I must've even if I don't remember). Jumper cables are the answer.
If you've never jumped a bike, here's the skinny: 1) Make sure the car you're jumping from is, and remains, off. 2) Connect the cables as normal; black to black, red to red. 3) Let the bike sit for a minute then start her up. 4) If you can, take her for a ride to get the charge back up.
If this doesn't work, then you may very well have more serious issues. Hope this helps, ride safe!
Posted on Jun 09, 2009
Clutch discs are stuck, put the bike in gear, not running, pull in the clutch and push the bike back and forth to break the clutches loose. Once they break loose start the engine put the bike in gear, hold the front brake, and slip the clutch a little to remove any built up or stuck crud on the plates.
Posted on Mar 10, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 12, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Oct 08, 2013 | Yamaha Xv 250 Virago S Motorcycles
Jun 15, 2013 | 2007 kawasaki KLR 650
Aug 09, 2012 | John Deere 420,1020,2010,2020,2510,2520...
Apr 10, 2012 | Toro 52" Cut Wide Area Walk Behind Lawn...
Apr 06, 2012 | 2003 Yamaha FZS 1000 Fazer
Dec 27, 2011 | 2007 Ducati Monster S4R Testastretta
Jul 11, 2011 | 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50
Jun 27, 2011 | kawasaki ZX-6R Motorcycles
72 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!