Question about 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer

1 Answer

Drainage hose where is this hose located and is it metal or rubber or plastic?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers


I can't believe I found a site that talks about the exact problem I'm having with my '02 Lancer. It must be a common problem for anyone living in a humid climate. The hurricanes here in Texas produce this problem almost state-wide as all of our A/C units are flowing water like crazy right now.

I'd like to expand on the solution that briankc43 so graciously provided above. The drain tube for the condensate reservoir is, indeed, found on the firewall on the driver's side (left hand drive vehicles if there's another). It's a small (1-1/2") rubber tube bent 90 degrees pointing down. In order to get to this tube you will probably have to remove the air intake tube that houses the (I'm guessing here) MAF sensor in order to get your hand down to that area. Once you've cleared the way for your hand the tube pulls off easily from the reservoir drain port that pokes through the firewall. When I did this there must have been nearly 1/2 gallon of water that flowed out! If you have a small, narrow bottle brush it would work nicely raking what muck remains in the interior of the condensate reservior. At this time I do not know if there's any way to introduce more water into the reservoir in order to flush it but this should be sufficient. I guess you could rig a small tube and funnel or syringe to squirt water into the drain port. If this works it may not be such a bad idea to mix a very small amount of bleach into the flushing water to help kill off any fungus as it's a pretty darn good place to grow a fine crop of it!

Because the drain tube narrows by about 1/2 at its end it encourages stop-ups with the dirt and fungus that grows and is deposited in the reservior over time. I thought about leaving the drain hose off but if you did you'd leave yourself open to the possiblity of water getting back into the interior during wet conditions (water splashing up on the firewall) especially if the foam seal on the inside of the firewall was damaged or deteriorated.

I hope this helps those that have been monitoring this site.

Posted on Sep 14, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a Silverado pickup, I was disconnecting the fuel pump and one of the plastic connecters broke in one of the fuel lines how do I get it out.

do you mean you broke one of the special fuel pumps fitted plastic compression joins of the lines

if you cant find a mobile hose repair business that can make fitting and joins

you replace the full length of the damaged hose with a good connections ...find a wrecker ...


Apr 10, 2017 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

My 2004 Chevy trailblazer idles too fast, sputters and misses. Where is the exact location of my vaccume hoses?

You need to download the schematic for your fuel/pollution control portion of the repair manual for your vehicle. There are dozens of vacuum lines in your engine compartment - some are flexible like rubber while others are rigid plastic and some are even metal.

Mar 03, 2015 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Where is connection

    • Locate the accumulator bolted to the firewall on your automobile. It usually bolts to the passenger side firewall but this is not a rule. However, it will be located on the passenger side of the engine bay. The accumulator is approximately 12-inches in length, 4-inches in diameter and has at least tow large hoses extending from it. These hoses are the high side and low side hoses. Locate the metal portions of the high side and low side hoses. Each hose comprises of a hard-metal line and soft-rubber line secured together. The metal portion of the hose bolts to the accumulator. Locate the low side and high side valves. They are located on the metal portion of the hose connected to the accumulator and both have black plastic caps covering them. The high side valve is a 16mm quick disconnect valve and the low side valve is a 13mm quick disconnect valve

Jun 08, 2012 | 1998 Dodge Caravan

1 Answer

95 Camaro Z28 appears to be leaking antifreeze from the hose or hoses that run to the heater core. The hoses are rubber but appear to connect to metal lines then back to rubber before they go into the...

if your rubber hoses are cracked and leaking then replace the hoses with proper size and length.
if the hoses are leaking where they connect to the metal fittings from the heater core then try and tighten up the hose clamps -- they could just be loose.


Jan 04, 2011 | 1995 Chevrolet Camaro

1 Answer

Where is pcv valve located on 2005 taurus?

From the front of the car and starting at the throttle body, locate a large rubber hose coming out of the bottom of the throttle body, this hose comes straight down, then bends towards the front of the car. A plastic pipe connects to this rubber hose and the plastic pipe continues forward, then bends to the passenger side and dives under the wiring harness a few inches and connects to a 2" long rubber hose which is then connected to the PCV. The PCV is made by motorcraft; part # ev-243 or ev-268. Ev268 has a metal hose wraped around it; This is used for coolent on other models (not yours). Bend it slightly and pull it off. The valve has square sides. Use long nose pliers to reach under the wiring harness and turn 1/4 turn counterclockwise to remove and opposite to install.

I think Ford floated the PCV in space and then built the entire car around it. This is, perhaps, the worst PCV location I have encountered.

Dec 08, 2009 | 2004 Ford Taurus

1 Answer

1993 gmc sierra c1500 radiator hose broken

Loosen the plastic petcock valve at the bottom of the radiator to drain the coolant from the radiator, loose and remove both hose clamps slide them down away from the clamping area then take a pair of large channel lock pliers and sqeeze gently and turn the rubber hose to crack the bond that exists between the rubber hose and the metal tube, be sure not to squeeze too tight when getting the hose to turn, proceed to pull the hose off. Install the new hose with clamps slide the clamps over the hose ends and tighten them being sure to locate them 1/4" from the end of the hose, refill radiator and check for leaks.

Dec 06, 2009 | 1993 GMC Sierra

1 Answer

I have water swishing around similar to the last posting, can you help me with the location of the drainage plugs

Go to your trunk and drill a hole on the bottom right side metal compartment below the rear window and run a gas hose or similar hose for drain about 3' long. Match the hose with the hole you drill for a tight fit.

Oct 22, 2009 | 1997 Honda Civic del Sol

2 Answers

Repair pin hole in metal fuel line for Pontiac Gram Am Car.

I would suggest cutting the line in two and bridging the two pieces with a piece of rubber fuel line hose. Use a hose with an inside diameter within which the metal line will fit snuggly. Use a clamp on either end of the hose.

May 06, 2009 | 2005 Pontiac Grand Am

1 Answer

Gas line is leaking very close to tank. The leak is at the joint where the metal pipe coming from tank meets a rubber hose that runs to filter. It seems to be leaking right at this joint which seems to...

You want to be very careful not to make any sparks while working on this. The obvious is smoking, banging metal tools around, etc. keep cell phones AWAY from the area. Pick up some rubber fuel line from the parts store. Be prepared for some gas leakage, have a plastic pan under the leak. Disconnect the line at the tank, have a piece of new hose ready to push on over the line to as close to the tank as you can, have the end away from the tank plugged up temporarily with a pencil or something that fits snug in it, then remove the rubber hose on the filter, and connect new line from tank to filter, check for leaks, hopefully it is the rubber line you replaced, or the end of the metal line, so the new hose will hopefully cover the corroded leaking area. Clamp and Dry off area and see if you can spot any leaks.

Apr 15, 2009 | 1994 Pontiac Bonneville

1 Answer


Under the wiring harness, which is under the fuel rail, which is under the upper intake manifold.
From the front of the car and starting at the throttle body, locate a large rubber hose coming out the bottom of the throttle body, this hose comes straight down, then bends towards the front of the car. A plastic pipe connects to this rubber hose and the plastic pipe continues forward, then bends to the passenger side and dives under the wiring harness a few inches and connects to a 2" long rubber hose which is then connected to the PCV.
You can see it actually. Locate the big coolant hose that is just above where the plastic pipe dives under the wiring harness, if you shine a light over the top of this hose and at a fairlt steep angle allowing you to see under the harness, you can make out the PCV. 

Oct 30, 2008 | 2004 Ford Taurus

Not finding what you are looking for?
2002 Mitsubishi Lancer Logo

88 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Mitsubishi Experts


Level 3 Expert

77544 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22306 Answers

Jeffrey Turcotte
Jeffrey Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8826 Answers

Are you a Mitsubishi Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides