Question about 1997 Plymouth Voyager

2 Answers

I have a 97 plymouth grand voyager, all hoses are fine and water pump is not leaking, yet as i am putting in coolant i can hear it running out to the ground. It seems to be coming from the center of the engine. what could this be and how expensive would it be to have it fixed?

Posted by on


2 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 75 Answers

Hi, i imagine that a freeze plug is your problem, it is in the block of the engine designed to come out to protect the engine in case of freezing if the coolant has not got the proper antifreeze protection, usually it is a concave shape disc about 1 1/2" in diameter with no threads , it should not be expensive to fix, the part can be tapped into it's hole with a hammer , in the worst case scenario the block itself is cracked.

Posted on May 29, 2011

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has achieved Level 3.

  • Master
  • 414 Answers

I had the same problem with my voyager. it was the "freeze plug" or "soft plug" on
the side of the engine block. It is about an hours work for a shop and cost me
about 127 dollars. They do make an expanding plug as a replacement which I
purchased to carry just in case another failed. The main issue is getting the old
one out because of it's location. Hope this helps.

Posted on May 29, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

I need to know what the pipe is called that the lower rad hose hooks up to on the 1998 plymouth grand voyager mini van 3.0L, 3 speed automatic ?

if you follow the pipe does it go towards the transmission ? if so it's for the trans cooler. If not it will be the escape hose incase of overheating/to much pressure in the coolant system , if you go to a parts retailer like autozone they will have the part named on their data system , its a bit difficult without seeing vehicle to name parts . although you have given a good description, the lower rad hose carries cooled coolant so i would think it's the trans cooler but check at autozone or similar

Jul 07, 2014 | 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

1 Answer

I need to know what the pipe is called that the lower rad hose hooks up to at the back of the 3.0L automatic

its the water pump inlet tube , if its leaking coolant its more than likely the water pump if thats why you asking the question , worked on plenty of those engines and the weep hole for the water pump when the seal goes it leaks out and runs down under the intake manifold at the rear of the engine , timing belt water pump service end result

Jul 07, 2014 | 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

2 Answers

I have a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager and water is leaking inside the van it appears from under the dash board and when I turn corners I can hear a lot of water rushing from side to side some where in th

what you to check this . look where the wipers are there is a plastic vent , see if you can ply it up . there is a drain on each side to let water drian inside the fenders. here is the link to my garage I am on facebook

Dec 15, 2012 | 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager

1 Answer

Where does my 1996 plymouth van leaks coolant under the car

if its under the passenger side front, it could be a water pump or hose leaking.

Dec 06, 2012 | 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager

1 Answer

Van is losing water but the overflows continues to stay full. No cracks in radiator and the cap where you put in the water has a hose going in but no hose on the opposite opening.

In a properly working system, the coolant expands as the coolant temp rises. The excess coolant flows into the overflow container by the hose that runs from the bottom of the overflow to the top of the radiator, under the radiator cap. When the coolant begins to cool down, it contracts,drawing fluid back into the radiator from the overflow. The water pump has a "weep" hole located near the bottom of the pump housing that will leak coolant if the pump is going bad. In some engines, the 3.0, the water pump is located under the camshaft timing belt cover, and is a BEAR to deal with. However, the coolant should be pulled into the radiator when the engine cools, so check that the hose from the top of the radiator is attached to the bottom of the overflow and that it is not blocked or pinched. Have the system pressure tested to verify that it has no leaks. Hope this helps. Dano

Jul 10, 2011 | 1992 Plymouth Voyager

1 Answer

My 1990 plymouth grand voyager wont circulate water thru the engine...causing it to over-heat...there are no leaks (except when the coolant reserve boils over)...the fan is being used manually thru a...

If the coolant is not circulating my first thought is a bad water pump impeller or a thermostat that is stuck closed (highly unusual as they normally stick open as the bimetal spring weakens). Other causes could be a collapsed hose or a clogged radiator. Make sure nothing is blocking air passage through the radiator. Hope this helps.

Jul 02, 2011 | Plymouth Grand Voyager Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Overheating engine

About two gallons of water/coolant total. If you have to add coolant then there must be a leak. On the expansion tank is a cold and hot level. Good luck

Apr 25, 2009 | 1992 Plymouth Grand Voyager

2 Answers

Antifreeze leak in a 1999 plymouth voyager. Lookslike its coming from around oil pan. Water pump replaced last year.Also no heat

check all hoses .from thermostat to radiator to water pump. check heater hoses.if all is good .make sure your water pump not leaking around the gasket area.if all is good.core plugs could be leaking.

Apr 12, 2009 | 1999 Plymouth Voyager

2 Answers


Here are the steps required to change the water pump on the 3.0L engine.

  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the drive belts. Remove the timing belt covers and the timing belt.
  4. Remove the water pump mounting bolts.
  5. Separate the water pump from the water inlet pipe and remove the water pump.
  6. Inspect the water pump and replace as necessary.
To install:
  1. Clean all gasket and O-ring surfaces on the water pump and water pipe inlet tube.
  2. Wet a new O-ring with water and install it on the water inlet pipe.
  3. Install a new gasket on the water pump.
  1. Install the pump inlet opening over the water pipe and press until the pipe is completely inserted into the pump housing.
  2. Install the water pump-to-block mounting bolts and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  3. Install the timing belt and timing belt covers. Install and adjust the drive belts.
  4. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Fill the cooling system to the proper level with a 50/50 mixture of clean, ethylene glycol antifreeze and water.
  5. Run the engine and check for leaks. Top off the coolant level, if necessary.

Jan 12, 2009 | 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Not finding what you are looking for?
1997 Plymouth Voyager Logo

177 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plymouth Experts


Level 3 Expert

76691 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22219 Answers

Jeffrey Turcotte
Jeffrey Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8531 Answers

Are you a Plymouth Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides