Question about 1997 Ford Taurus

1 Answer

After a short circuit smelt in the cabin, the radio stopped. I found the radio fuse (5 amp) melted. What happen? How to troubleshoot?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Genius:

    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 1,140 Answers

Anytime something melts its a dead short. just look for melted wires to or from radio

Posted on May 28, 2011

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Short draining the battery, removed the 5 amp fuse for backup, solved the problem with the short but no radio or clock memory and no Radio volume. Where could my problem be?


Try eliminating radio from power system by removing fuse behind radio or positive supple to radio. Replace backup fuse and check if drain still happens. If so, your radio may have internal power short and needs to be replaced.If not, shorts maybe along the the supply lines after the fuse.

Dec 29, 2016 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Replace 15 amp fuse to a 30


NO,NO,NO ! Fuses are electrical protection for the cars wiring installing a higher amp-age fuse takes longer to blow so your wiring gets hotter and starts to melt the insulation and shorts to other wires eventually burning up the harness. With a amp meter test the circuit to see how much power is needed to keep the circuit going if over rated (15 amp circuit taking 20 amps) then install a cycling circuit breaker 10 amp this will blow and cool and blow again continually then with a magnetic amp meter (Gauss meter) you can locate your short the source voltage causes the amp meter to jump as the fault occurs when you pass it meter will stop working.

Apr 22, 2014 | 2002 Ford Escape

2 Answers

Why do fuses blow


overload will blow you fuses.short to ground. wtich fuse is blowing?

Apr 16, 2014 | 1998 Acura TL

1 Answer

I have a Mitsubishi eclipse '03 my brake & battery


You would need to check the wiring and fuses to see if anything is blown or melted. The warning light is for both hydraulic brakes and the charging system.
In your case the light probably came on because the alternator stopped charging the battery.

Dec 24, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

2006 kia sedona a/c keeps blowing fuse


Not unless you are willing to risk electrical damage or a fire! A fuse is a protection device that is designed to blow if the amp load in a circuit exceeds the "safe" limit for that circuit. Fuses are built with a specific amp rating which is marked on the fuse. The wiring and design load of the circuit dictates the size of fuse that's required to protect the circuit. Circuits that draw a lot of power need fuses with high amp ratings (20 or 30 amps) while those that use minimal power require smaller fuses (5 to 15 amps).

When the current in a circuit exceeds the normal limit for whatever reason, the metal element in the fuse melts and opens the circuit stopping the flow of current. A short, for example, causes a runaway electrical current. If not stopped, wires can start to melt and things can catch on fire. So respect the amp ratings specified for fuses (which can usually be found in your vehicle owners manual, on the fuse block itself or a fuse block reference decal).

What happens if you install a fuse with the wrong amp rating? If you install a 20 amp fuse in a circuit designed for 10 amps, you're asking for trouble. A difference of 10 amps might not sound like much, but it may be enough to fry a sensitive electronic component or to overheat wires to the point where the insulation may start to melt.

WARNING: Under no circumstances should you ever bypass or eliminate a fuse. No electrical circuit should ever be operated without fuse protection. This is extremely dangerous, especially if you've had problems with a fuse blowing before.

If a fuse keeps blowing, it usually means something is amiss in the circuit. The wiring should be checked along with the components in the circuit to determine if there's a short or other problem.

The fuse for the windshield wiper circuit, for example, may blow if ice or debris builds up in the cowl areas and interferes with the movement of the wiper arms. If a fuse blows in a motor circuit (heater blower motor, cooling fan motor, power seat or window, electric fuel pump, etc.), it often indicates a shorted motor. If a fuse in a light circuit blows, look for wiring or connector shorts. Adding driving lights may also overtax the headlight circuit unless a separate circuit is provided for the driving lights. An A/C fuse will blow if the system is low on refrigerant and is working unusually hard, or if the compressor is hanging up. Stereo systems with high amp boosters should also have their own electrical circuit with fuse protection to avoid overloading the normal radio circuit.

Jul 22, 2011 | 2006 Kia Sedona

2 Answers

Vehicle is nissan largo, ld20 diesel, A WIRE JOINED TO THE POSITIVE BATTERY LEAD, MELTS WHEN I TRY TO GLOW BEFORE STARTING, LIKE A SHORT CIRCUIT


I think that wire is an in-line fuse that melts whenever a short is detected, as the system uses so many amps, if a short circuit were allowed to continue, it would easily catch a fire. I'd go through the whole electrical system for shorts, if that melting fuse fails to melt, you could have a major fire on your hands.

Jan 28, 2011 | Nissan Frontier Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

My control for my mirrors does not work.i have checked the fuses but cannot see the fuse for the mirrorsin the car fuse panel pr the fuse box under the hood.? MY CAR IS A NISSAN TERRANO 2.7 TDI SE TOURING...


In some vehicles, the fuse that controls the external mirrors is the same fuse that looks after the Cigarette lighter, and in some models the car radio.

If your cigarette lighter is not working check all of the fuses individually to find the blown one. Also on the rear of some cigarette lighters there is a fusable link type fusing wire. This has a wire similar to the older type house fuses, this melts when a short circuit occurs. When this happens the circuit is not complete. This type of lighter is found on some Toyota's and may have made it's way into Nissan's as well. Can't hurt to check it out.

Feb 25, 2010 | 2008 Nissan Xterra

1 Answer

1995 mercury mystique heater died today. I smelt


YOU'LL FIND A MELTED 40 AMP FUSE IN THE FUSE BOX UNDER THE DASH ABOVE AND LEFT OF THE BRAKE PETAL. GOOD LUCK!

Nov 22, 2009 | 1995 Mercury Mystique

1 Answer

Tail lamps and front corner lamps inop


If the fuse was melted, I doubt that all 4 bulbs went bad at once. It sounds like you have a short circuit there. The power goes from the fuse, up to the head lamp switch and then to the 4 lamps. Check to see if the headlamp switch is working properly.
Charlie

Nov 16, 2008 | 2002 Dodge Ram Maxi

Not finding what you are looking for?
1997 Ford Taurus Logo

Related Topics:

88 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75817 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

fordexpert

Level 3 Expert

5495 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...