Question about Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

We put new intake on a 97 lincoln town car,the old was leaking water. now there is not much compression on number two cyclindor. we think it is a piece of carbin under a valve. what can we use to desolve the oiece of carbin ? It has a skip on number 2 cyclindor. We changed plugs. the old ones were gapped at a hundred they were burned up. PLEASE HELP US.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Lincoln Master
  • 5,520 Answers

Hello, This can be a hard fix to limit to only 1 cylinder. I want to say there are strong cleaners for the injectors that work this way. A can of solvent is attached to the fuel rail and the fuel pump is disabled.

The engine runs off of this solvent until the solvent runs out. This is suppose to clean out the injectors which would also produce a solvent in the cylinder head. Ford makes a Combustion Chamber cleaner which may be the same thing. Check with a Dealer about this product.

You would also get a the same problem from the exhaust valve, only getting a liquid solvent to the back side of that valve would be difficult. In the old times, people used water in the hot cylinder to steam the cylinder and moisten the carbon deposits.

I would check with the Dealer, also Bardahl was used in the air intake to degum the heads by pouring it into a running engine air intake.. This would be a 1960's cure.

I would like to know what was successful in fixing this problem.

Posted on May 25, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How do u know if your ac/heater control panel is out on a 97 lincoln town car

Hello Natasha Langford,
It looks very much like the one in my

Ford has unique part numbers on all of their parts...
Like: F7VH-19C933-AA

You can call your local friendly parts dealer... Auto dismantlers have cross-over books... they can use to assist in such situations..

I don't know if any serious COMMUNITIES OF INTEREST
have formed (clubs) around 20 year old Lincolns... but I'm POSITIVE the antique folks could tell you how to begin...

Fr myself I'd copy the part number off of the PART in question...
and post it on eBay... and the rest of the internet

Nov 20, 2016 | 1997 Lincoln Town Car

2 Answers

I have a water leak between intake & block what hose is that & how I go about repair it ? 1993 Lincoln Town car, jack nickels series. ..

if your leak is external at the front of engine you have upper radiator --water pump by pass --if leak is internal you have a gasket leak which can be the intake gasket or the head gasket the hoses that

Sep 22, 2015 | Lincoln Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Water pump failed. Car overheated. Engine lost power. Car smoke out from back of engine and from rear of car. I replaced water pump. Car still smokes when I drive it. Still has no power.

Notorious for intake leaks, the composite plastic intakes crack and leak coolant-as to the lack of power, you mght have overheated it and done some damage to the engine. There was a recall (information below) for the 4.6 for the intake-the overheating and lack of power means you should at least have compression checked and go from there-you may have bad head gaskets or worse. Do a compression test before you do anything else.

Ford Motor Company will extend the recall (01M02) on 4.6L V8 equipped vehicles with plastic intake manifolds. Some of the composite intake manifolds used on 4.6L SOHC engines may develop fatigue cracks at the coolant crossover duct. This condition could result in engine coolant leakage which, if not serviced, may cause engine overheating. Complete loss of coolant may result in engine damage or engine failure.
The updated recall now includes:
• Certain 1996 through 2001 Model Year Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Model Year Crown Victoria with Taxi
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Lincoln Town Car Limousine and Livery Prep Package
• Certain 1996-2001 Crown Victoria Taxis, Police cars and Lincoln Town Car Limousine and Livery cars.
• Certain 1996 through 1997 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from the beginning of production for the 1996 Model Year through January 28, 1997.
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Crown Victoria Taxi Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.
• Certain 1998 through 2001 Lincoln Town Car Limousine Prep Package and Livery Vehicles with 4.6L SOHC engines built at the Wixom Assembly Plant from November 22, 1997 through December 15, 2000.

Sep 23, 2011 | 2001 Ford Crown Victoria

2 Answers

I have a 2001 Lincoln Town Car . When it rains, there is water in the passenger

The vent under the hood on passenger side , more than likley the seal is leaking letting the water go inside. I have had to fix my mother's 1999 and my 2001 lincoln. It is not very hard to fix. You will have to remove the screws on the passenger panel under the hood to get to the vent. Pry the vent loose and re seal. You can take the hose and spray water on the W/S when it is dry to make sure it is coming in at that location.

Jun 30, 2011 | 2001 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

My 1996 lincoln town car has lost compression, and blown a head gasket. how do i fix this myself.

Remove everything down to the intake, Remove intake then remove head remove old head gasket place high temp. sylacone and let stand for a few min's till tacky. Then put new gasket on and start with the corners then add other bolts. Thghten down evenly. replace intake on ect.
This is really hard without knowing what all is in your vechicle but this is what you need to do to replace, A extra tip you might try a bottle of liquid glass , This works if not to bad yet.
Good luck to you.

Apr 08, 2011 | 1997 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

MY 1965 lincoln town car is running hot due to leaking water. it is not the water pump or the thermostat had both check don't know where leak is comming from

The only way to fix it, is to find the leak, and repair it. Hoses? the intake manifolds are famous for cracking behind the alternator if it has a plastic intake manifold. But you are the one that has the car, so You have to find out where the leak is.

Nov 11, 2010 | 1995 Lincoln Town Car

2 Answers

I have a 98 lincoln town car executive and I need to know how you change the thermostat

1. drain coolant
2. remove engine cover
3. remove the 2 bolts from water hose connection (upper rad hose connecting to)
4. remove o-ring and thermostat
5. repeat in reverse order

Feb 05, 2010 | 1998 Lincoln Continental

1 Answer

How do I repair an oil leak from the oil filter for a 1992 Lincoln Town Car

Make sure the old filter gasket is not stuck on the filter housing. sometimes the old filter gasket comes off the old filter and when you put on the new one it will leak.

Mar 28, 2009 | 1992 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

Water leak on top of engine of a 1995 town car

I know this darn hose, u have to pull the intake to replace it, we used the factory hose but you can use any type of water/coolant rated hose in that size.

Jan 02, 2009 | 1995 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

1996 lincoln towncar

If you have a pipe leaking you need to replace it. Only onei can think of thats close to intake is the In/out to heater matrix.

But if its leaking from waterpump it need a new gasket.

Oct 13, 2008 | 1996 Lincoln Town Car

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

42 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Lincoln Experts


Level 3 Expert

76132 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5520 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Are you a Lincoln Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides