Question about 2004 Audi A4
I need to replace the Passenger Tail Light and the Manual doesn't (of Course it wouldn't be of any assistance) include any info for replacing bulbs. How do you access the Rear Light Box ?
If you are still looking for the resolution, it's really pretty simple. It is highly recommended that you remove one light assembly at a time, thus allowing you to have a good guide when repositioning the assembly back on the vehicle body. Yes, the only way to get to the burned out bulb in the taillight is to remove the whole darn thing! The bulb burns out every 4-5 months, so I have become good at it...Here goes:
1. Open trunk. Look for small (3" diameter) cutouts in the fabric panel in the trunk liner. They are identical and appear next to the taillight assemblies, on the side, not behind the taillight.
2. Gently use a flat blade screwdriver and pry them open. These cutouts are attached to the inner trunk liner fabric, so be gentle.
3. Notice the phillips head screw inside the opening. Unscrew it slowly, making sure it doesn't drop between the chassis and the trunk liner. Remove the screw.
4. Place soft towel on the outside of the car under the taillight assembly, to prevent scratching the car bumper.
5. Gently grab both sides of the taillight assembly from the outside and pull away from the car (rear direction. Be careful not to pull too hard, or the wiring harness behind the assembly may break.
6. You can now access all lamp in the taillight assembly. Change the bulbs as needed. Also, if you can vacuum or clean the dirt on the chassis as well as on the back side of the taillight assembly, you'll feel better later :-)
7. Placing the taillight assembly back in its place is a bit tricky. It seems to go back easily, but the rubber lining nearest to the trunk opening and where the phillips head screw is, must be placed exactly right or water will leak behind the assembly.
8. Screw in the phillips head screw, but don't overtighten it. You will need to open it every 4-5 months to replace another bulb (its an Audi-VW plan to sell more bulbs).
9. Snap the trunk liner caps back in place and voila, you have done it.
Posted on Dec 23, 2008
There is a small circle cut-out inside the truck adjacent to the tail light assembly. Open this, you will see a screw. take this screw completely out and then softly pull the tail light assembly from the car. once is loose the rest is prett simple.
Posted on Jul 31, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 18, 2014 | 2003 Dodge Durango
Jan 01, 2011 | 2004 Pontiac Vibe
Dec 29, 2010 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jan 21, 2010 | 2004 Audi A4
Dec 18, 2009 | 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe
Nov 17, 2009 | 2004 Audi A4
Nov 05, 2009 | 2004 Audi A4
Jun 18, 2009 | 2004 Ford Ranger
Feb 06, 2009 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Nov 22, 2008 | 2004 Audi A4
4,783 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: