1996-1999 Toyota Corolla valve timing:
It is very easy to install the timing belt on 1997 Toyota Corolla. Do the following:
- Mark the numbers 1,2 and 3 on the spark plug wires with permanent marker or nail polish and remain the 4th one unmarked. This is necessary so that you can easily remember the spark plug wires order later on their original position.
- Remove the spark plugs so that the engine can easily be rotated.
- Rotate the crankshaft clockwise to align the v- groove mark on the crankshaft pulley with the 0 mark on the timing belt cover. If these marks are aligned the piston is always on the Top Dead Position (TDC).
- To replace the timing belt remove the crankshaft pulley, upper and lower timing covers.
- Temporarily screw in the crankshaft bolt in its place to rotate the crankshaft with the spanner and align the v- groove of lower crankshaft gear with the index mark on the oil pump cover as shown in the following diagram.
- Inspect the cam shaft mark through the small hole on the cam shaft sprocket. The punch mark should be exactly behind the hole on the cam shaft sprocket as shown in the following diagram.
- Loosen the timing bearing bolt, press the bearing forcefully against the spring with some suitable tool and lock it there temporarily.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the timing bearing.
- Replace the new timing belt and bearing with the original.
- Install in the reverse order of dis-assembly.
NOTE: NEVER PUT EXTRA FORCE ON TIMING BEARING TO ADJUST THE TIMING BELT TENSION. JUST LOOSEN THE TIMING BEARING BOLT AND THE SPRING ATTACHED TO IT WILL PULL THE BEARING IT SELF WITH THE PRESET TENSION TO ADJUST THE TIMING BELT.
Thank you for visiting Fixya.