Question about 2000 Ford Explorer
Need diagram if possisble
Here is word for word what the manual says:
1. Loosen the front wheel lug nuts on the side to be dismanteld. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jack stands. CAUTION: If the vehicle is equipped with Automatic Ride Control (ARC), make sure the air suspention switch is turned to the OFF position before the vehicle is riased to prevent damage to the system components.
2. Remove the front wheel.
3. Remove the cotter pin and loosen the nut on the tie-rod end stud. Discard the cotter pin.
4. Disconnect the tie-rod end fron the steering spindel with a Pitman arm puller.
5. Loosen the tie-rod end jam nut and back it off several turns.
6. Apply a paint mark to the theads adjacent to the adjusting sleeve or tie-rod end. Unscrew the tie-rod end from the adjusting sleeve or connecting rod.
7. Install the tie-rod end into the adjusting sleeve or connecting rod. Thread the tie-rob end in until the marks made on step 6 align.
8. Install the tie-rod end to the spindle. Make sure the front wheels and steering wheel are in the stright ahead position. Make sure the tie-rod stud is seated in the taper to prevent it from turing while tightening the nut.
9. Install the new nut on the stud and tighent it to the proper torque (45-60 ft-lbs). Install a new cotter pin and bend the ends over completely.
10. Tighten the tie-rod adjusting sleever clap bolts or jam nut to 50-68 ft-lbs. Make sure the tie-rod is posistioned correctly in the same posistion it was in before it was removed.
11. Install the wheel and lug nuts. Lower the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts.
12. get the front end aligned.
Posted on Oct 12, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 22, 2011 | 2001 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Aug 29, 2010 | 2004 Ford Taurus
Aug 24, 2010 | 2005 Buick LaCrosse
Oct 20, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Durango
Sep 20, 2009 | 1990 Nissan 240SX
Jun 08, 2009 | 2000 Ford Windstar
Mar 26, 2009 | 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer
Oct 16, 2008 | 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra
685 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: