Question about 2000 Ford Taurus
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
This indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it.
Symptoms can include:
* Hard starting or no start
* Rough running / misfiring
* Loss of engine power
A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
* a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
* the camshaft position sensor may have failed
* the PCM may have failed
* there exists an open circuit
* the crankshaft position sensor may have failed
With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
* Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
* Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
* Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
* Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
* Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
* Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
* Diagnose/replace the PCM as required
The Cam Position Sensor is located on the drivers side; the intake manifold is cut out where is sits on top of the engine block. Its black in color and has two 5.5 mm. screws that you'll be able to see.
Posted on Apr 04, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: i have code po340 camshaft
3.3 and 3.8 front of the engine near the timing chain look down between the thermostat and the alternator. It near the motor mount. 3.0 engine in the distributor.
Posted on May 30, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 29, 2014 | 2001 Subaru Outback
Jul 30, 2014 | Ford Windstar Cars & Trucks
Nov 07, 2012 | 1997 GMC Jimmy
Jul 30, 2012 | 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis
Apr 29, 2017 | 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe
Jan 12, 2011 | 1996 BMW Z3 Roadster
Nov 15, 2009 | 1997 Infiniti.5 J30
Aug 21, 2009 | 1999 Ford Escort
908 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: