Question about 1999 Volkswagen Passat
For front brake pads replacement you need only usually wrench set, inclusive 7 mm allen key also. But for rear brake pads replacement you need obligatory a special caliper piston pressing tool, in order to press back rear caliper piston with parking brake automatic adjustment!!!
For front brake pads. First you must verify yours front brake disc diameter: 280 mm or 288 mm. After that you can buy the brake pads (with wear sensor). For change front brake pads you must raise vehicle, remove wheels, extract the retaining spring of the caliper, and remove the caliper as follow:
1. Do not disconnect the brake hose from the caliper, and do not allow the caliper to hang by the brake hose!
2. Remove top and bottom caps (on back side of the caliper) for access to guide pins, then unbolt and remove them from the brake carrier. Remove the caliper.
3. Now you must thoroughly clean the brake calipers (free of grease).
4. Remove outer brake pad from brake carrier.
5. Pull inner brake pad out of brake caliper piston.
6. Check up the brake fluid level on the reservor, and emptying if neccessary!
7. Push piston back into brake caliper housing.
8. Install inner brake pad (with expanding spring) in brake caliper piston. (Arrow marked on pad - if exist, must point in direction of brake disc rotation when vehicle is moving forward).
9. Install outer brake pad into brake carrier.
10. Bolt brake caliper housing to brake carrier using two guide pins. Tightening torque is 25 Nm.
11. Install both caps.
12. Insert retaining spring into brake caliper housing. Important: Depress the brake pedal firmly several times while the car is stationary so that the brake pads adjust to their normal operating positions!!! Check brake fluid level and top up if neccessary!!!
Posted on Mar 28, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 25, 2012 | 1999 Pontiac Sunfire
Aug 17, 2011 | Volkswagen Passat Cars & Trucks
Jun 30, 2010 | 1999 Honda Accord
Apr 26, 2010 | 2005 Volkswagen Passat
Nov 07, 2009 | 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Jun 08, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
May 29, 2009 | 2000 Volkswagen Passat 4Motion
Apr 27, 2009 | Volkswagen Passat Cars & Trucks
Nov 15, 2008 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
May 29, 2008 | 2002 Pontiac Grand Am
May 21, 2017 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
527 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: