Question about 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms: You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
Causes: A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible solutions include:
* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
Posted on Mar 24, 2011
Code 171 is left bank, 174 is right bank. shows low fuel pressure.change fuel filters lately?? ok before we condemn the fuel pump ,better hookup pressure Guage and check pressure. Can be caused by a vacuum leak. to check, with spray engine cleaner in suspect areas and note of any engine changes. be care full not to spray exhaust areas or it might flame up, do not use brake clean if it gets into engine intake then as it comes out the exhaust it is very poison to breathe . and very dangerous if inhaled
Posted on Mar 24, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 31, 2013 | 1997 Ford Expedition
Mar 21, 2013 | 2006 Ford Five Hundred
Apr 07, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Mar 31, 2012 | GMC Yukon XL Cars & Trucks
Mar 24, 2011 | 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
May 20, 2010 | 2001 GMC Yukon XL
Aug 12, 2009 | 2003 Chevrolet Impala
May 19, 2009 | 1999 Ford Ranger SuperCab
Jan 15, 2009 | 2001 Ford Windstar
965 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: