Question about 2001 Dodge Caravan
The BCM controls the lights. wipers door locks some of the HVAC, security sytem and so forth. If this goes out you could find yourself stranded if the security system lock you engine down or won't allow the doors to unlock, you lights inside could go crazy, windows will quit working, your car could become Haunted! It's not too difficult to replace the Body Control Module. If you know what you are doing you can do it in about 2 hours. The BCM is mounted on the back of the fuse box under the dash on the driver's side.
1. Disconnect the battery. Reverse the procedure to put the new BCM in place. If you broke the retaining clips on the connectors you will need to use duct tape to hold them in place.
2. Remove the under-dash panel (plastic cover panel, metal panel, and metal brace.) You will also need to disconnect the handle for the emergency brake.
3. Remove three large screws holding fuse box in place (two on right and one on left.)
4. Remove the electrical connections at the bottom of the BCM. Avoid breaking the plastic retaining clips if possible. To release the clips push in at the tip.
5. You should now be able to pull the fuse box down a few inches, which is all you need.
6. Remove the screws holding the BCM to the fuse box, two screws on the right and one on the left.
7. Slide the BCM down and out to remove it from the back of the fuse box.
It's not too difficult to replace the Body Control Module. If you know what you are doing you can do it in about 2 hours. The BCM is mounted on the back of the fuse box under the dash on the driver's side.
1. Disconnect the battery.
Reverse the procedure to put the new BCM in place. If you broke the retaining clips on the connectors you will need to use duct tape to hold them in place.
Posted on Mar 23, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Limited throttle mode--The control module will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control; however, the maximum throttle opening is limited.
Throttle default mode--The control module will turn off the throttle actuator motor and the throttle will return to the spring loaded default position.
Forced idle mode--The control module will perform the following actions:
Limit engine speed to idle by positioning throttle position, or by controlling fuel and spark if throttle is turned off.
Ignore accelerator pedal input.
Engine shutdown mode--The control module will disable fuel and de-energize the throttle actuator.
Powertrain Control Module Description for the 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engine
May 09, 2016 | 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
Jan 07, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Ignition is in the RUN, START, or ACC position and security system diagnostics have all PASSED
SECURITY TELLTALE will be on if:
The BCM is performing a bulb check at vehicle start
Security system diagnostics have not yet completed at vehicle start
A security system diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is set in the BCM or PCM
SECURITY TELLTALE will be flashing if:
The tamper hall effect sensor has been triggered
Incorrect passlock sensor data to BCM for more than 5 seconds during vehicle start
No passlock sensor data to the BCM for more than 5 seconds during vehicle start
Incorrect password from the BCM to the PCM after 5 seconds during vehicle start
Oct 23, 2015 | Saturn Cars & Trucks
Oct 10, 2015 | Saturn Cars & Trucks
Sep 03, 2015 | Oldsmobile Cars & Trucks
Apr 08, 2015 | 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Apr 26, 2014 | 1986 Pontiac Fiero
Aug 07, 2011 | Volkswagen Beetle Cars & Trucks
Jan 31, 2009 | 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager
782 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!