Question about 1998 Dodge Dakota

1 Answer

I have a crack in the bed piece that goes to the frame on the right rear next to the shock area.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Dodge Master
  • 5,763 Answers

This can be welded or if its rusted then cut it out and weld in a new piece. If this is just one of the peice that go across the bottom of the bed for support then dont worry about it, the bed will be okay, unless you always carry alot of weight in the bed then to avoid the floor of the bed to bend some then repair it.

Posted on Mar 20, 2011

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer


Shock Absorber Replacement
Removal Procedure
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting
Remove the lower shock bolt.
For right side only, remove splash shield.
Remove the upper shock bolt.
Remove the shock from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure
Install the shock to the vehicle.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
Install the upper shock bolt.
Tighten the bolt to 110 Nm (81 ft. Lbs.).
For right side only, install splash shield
Install the lower shock bolt.
Tighten the bolt to 110 Nm (81 ft. Lbs.).
Lower the vehicle.

For complete step by step guide with diagrams click the link below:
This will help.

Jun 02, 2016 | 2006 Pontiac Torrent

1 Answer

How do I install the bed on a 2004 Dodge Dakota

Where the frame meets the bed directly you should need no rubber or shims. Some beds have raised areas that need a bushing to fill the gap between the bed and frame but most need nothing. Body shops do use shims on beds to get them level if there have ever been any accidents, the frame is out of plum or the bed is not level. So if you get it on and it is too high or low an any certain area just shim it up till it gets where you you want it and looks level and fit.

Oct 17, 2014 | 2004 Dodge Dakota

1 Answer

Rear supension

Most likely spring.... look under and make sure it didn't break off from the car frame or crack.... check to see if the shock popped through the body.... the spring holds the car away from the tires and the shock stops the car from bounceing... also check to see if the rear stableizer didn't let go.... this keeps the tire in the upright position.

Oct 16, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

2013 subaru wrx alignment out of specs after frame replacement

is the shock mounting point on the body damaged or deformed?
this sounds like there is a slight warp from the car being dropped

Mar 16, 2013 | Subaru Impreza Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Stop car too low

first,I would like to ask you if you've had your suspension,shocks,and tire air pressure checked for irregularities;second, do the weight differences between the dredominating driver and right side passenger(s) differ significantly enough to produce consistant weight burden on passenger side suspension,or shocks-less than on the driver's side of your vehicle? If any of the above issues or mechanical irregularities exist,then those are most likely the reasons for your vehicle being lower on right than on left.have a mechanic thoroughly check the suspension for wear,damage to components,and /or bent parts,and if all is well, and those possible components do not need need replacing,then the next area of concern would likely be shock obsorbers,and if those do not need replacing then the problem may be that the vehicle's frame is bent or broken -depending on the type of frame your vehicle has..Process of elimination,while troubleshooting likely areas of concern may enable you to find cost effective,timely solutions to any vehicular problems. Best of luck.Steve Smith

Jul 11, 2012 | 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

1 Answer

I have a 1995 chev lumina. It has had the entire rear brakes replaced ( drums) , YET it makes a 'clunking' sound when the brakes are applied. What can it be ?

The clunking you hear could very well be a bad shock or a bushing that goes in the trailing arms that attach the rearend to the car. You can check this by putting the car on jack stands making sure to place them under the body of the car ( in the proper area ) your car manual shows the area where you can place a jack this would also be the spot to place the stands. Next check the shocks by pulling and pushing on them to see if there is any movement in them that would cause the noise, Also you will want to inspect all rubber bushings that attach the rearend to the car. If they are bad it will be noticeable by sight, They will be dry-cracked and or missing pieces. Hope this helps.

Jan 20, 2011 | Chevrolet Chevy Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Rear end is rocking up and down at start and stoping

Classic signs of a Ford Ranger in need of new rear shocks.
Since your vehicle is a 1998, its just about the right age for
the OEM shocks to fail.
Checking your shocks:
1. take off rear wheel & check for fluid leakage from the upper 1/2 of the shock - presence of fluid
indicates shock failure.
2. get in truck bed over the axle and jump up & down. Excessive play/bounciness indicates shock

Oct 25, 2010 | 1998 Ford Ranger SuperCab

1 Answer

Replacing shocks with air shocks on rear

The leaf springs should hold up the bed. The shocks generaly determine how much bounce there is when you go over a bump. In air shocks they can lower the vehicle and still keep the vehicle from bounceing a lot.

Aug 15, 2009 | 1997 Ford Ranger SuperCab

2 Answers


You can get a decent pair of gas charged shocks or monroe load leveler shocks (if they are available for your car) However, it's likely that the rear springs have sagged. You can easily replace them with either oem or a stronger variable rate spring.

Aug 10, 2009 | 1993 Chevrolet Lumina

2 Answers

1991 Chevy Suburban - Cracked / Split Frame around RR Shock Mount

bring it to a welder and see if they can make a new mount and weld it in. its really not that big of a deal

Aug 03, 2008 | 1991 Chevrolet Suburban

Not finding what you are looking for?
1998 Dodge Dakota Logo

Related Topics:

102 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Dodge Experts


Level 3 Expert

75797 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22114 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8140 Answers

Are you a Dodge Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides