Question about 1998 Ford Expedition
A P0305 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #5.
Symptoms may include:
* the engine may be harder to start
* the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
* other symptoms may also be present
Causes: A code P0305 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Faulty spark plug or wire
* Faulty coil (pack)
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
* Faulty fuel injector
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s)
* Running out of fuel
* Poor compression
* Defective computer
* If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
* If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
Hope this helps.
Posted on Mar 17, 2011
Remove #5 spark plug. check the wire and replace the plug.
Posted on Mar 17, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 07, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Dec 18, 2010 | 2000 Ford Mustang
May 29, 2010 | 2004 Ford Expedition
Apr 19, 2010 | 2003 Lincoln Navigator
Mar 11, 2010 | 1998 Ford Windstar
Oct 05, 2009 | 1998 Chrysler Sebring
Jun 16, 2008 | 1993 Mercedes-Benz Mercedes Benz 300 Class
444 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!