Question about 1991 Pontiac Firebird
You either have a bad starter or ignigtion switch. When you turn the key on does everything else come on? I would check the starter first if you have power to everything.
Posted on Mar 16, 2011
First on the list of possible culprits:
(1) if no clicking is heard upon turning ignition, suspect dead starter solenoid.
(2) if clicking is heard up on turning key (the clicking comes from the starter solenoid), then
suspect the starter motor.
From my 91 Pontiac Firebird troubleshooting guide:
1. Battery - discharged/faulty
2. Battery cable - corroded/broken/shorted/loose connection
Note: most common cause of no-start condition is corroded positive battery terminal.
3. Distributor Cap - cracked/burned
4. Fuel filter - clogged dirty
5. Ignition coil - faulty
6. spark plug wireset - worn/damaged/faulty
7. spark plugs - incorrectly gapped/fouled
8. starter motor - faulty
9. fuel pump - low fuel pressure
10. starter solenoid switch - faulty
11. fuel pump relay - faulty
12 fuel injector pressure regulator - faulty
13. ignition switch - improperly connected/faulty
14. starter drive gear (engages the flywheel) - faulty/worn
15. fuel injectors - dirty/worn
16. fuel pump strainer - clogged/dirty
17. Engine Control Computer (ECC) - incorrect operating information from ECC
18. fuel tank - empty
19. carburetor - flooded or faulty choke
20 Distributor - worn/loose/incorrectly installed/burned contacts
Posted on Mar 16, 2011
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 26, 2012 | Pontiac Firebird Cars & Trucks
May 13, 2012 | 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Dec 08, 2011 | 1988 Pontiac Firebird
Mar 03, 2011 | 1994 Pontiac Firebird
Mar 03, 2011 | 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD 2WD
Mar 19, 2010 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE
Mar 04, 2010 | 2002 Pontiac Firebird
Dec 22, 2009 | 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Ext
Jul 14, 2009 | 1991 Pontiac Firebird
351 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: