Question about 1999 Subaru Forester
It does sound like a power supply problem of some sort. If power is
removed/disrupted, the default for the parking brake light is "on". You can see how that's done on some post HERE. It's for another project, but the alternator had to be removed.
Was the original battery replaced? Has the water level in the battery been checked?
Check this procedure about Voltage Regulator - Removal & Installation
1. Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
2. Remove the four through bolts. Then insert the tip of a flat-head screwdriver into the gap between the stator core and front bracket. Pry them apart to disassemble the alternator.
3. Hold rotor with a vise and remove pulley nut.
When holding rotor with vise, insert aluminum plates or wood pieces on the contact surfaces of the vise to prevent rotor from damage.
4. Unsolder connection between rectifier and stator coil to remove stator coil.
Finish the work rapidly (less than three seconds) because the rectifier cannot withstand heat very well.
5. Remove screws which secure voltage regulator to rear cover, and unsolder connection between voltage regulator and rectifier to remove the regulator.
6. Installation is the reverse order of assembly. After assembly, turn the pulley by hand to check that the rotor turns smoothly.
Posted on Mar 14, 2011
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 03, 2015 | 2003 Subaru Forester
Dec 09, 2012 | 2005 Subaru Forester
Sep 13, 2011 | 1999 Subaru Forester
Sep 17, 2010 | 1999 Chevrolet Lumina
Jul 11, 2009 | 2000 Subaru Forester
Jul 08, 2009 | 2000 Subaru Outback
Jun 04, 2009 | 1998 Subaru Forester
Feb 20, 2009 | 2000 Subaru Forester
Dec 26, 2008 | 1997 Subaru Outback
268 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!