How to Replace a Headlight Bulb in a Ford Taurus
The Ford Taurus has one of thelongest production histories of any of Ford's mid- cars
. You should check that the headlightson your Ford Taurus are working properly on a regular basis. When one of theheadlight bulbs burn out, replacing it is a simple repair you can performyourself. These steps apply only to the fourth generation Ford Taurus producedafter 2000.
1. Turn off your Ford Taurus, engage the parking brake and remove the keys fromthe ignition before beginning any repairs. Ensure that the headlights are offby double-checking you turned the interior control completely to the offposition.
2. Raise the hood by firstpulling up on the interior hood release latch located under the instrumentpanel on the left of the steering column. Walk around to the front of the car
and release the auxiliary latchlocated at the front center of the hood. Raise the hood until the liftcylinders catch and hold the hood open on its own.
3. Unscrew the bolt from theheadlamp assembly by turning it counterclockwise. Use a screwdriver or pliersto pry up the retaining pins enough that you can pull them straight up and outwith either your hands or a pair of pliers. These pins are located at the backof the headlight assembly.
4. Pull the headlight assembly out from the front of the vehicle
. Remove the protective dust shieldfrom the electrical connector and bulb assembly by turning it counterclockwiseand pulling it off.
5. Free the bulb assembly by disconnecting the electricalconnector and retaining ring. You can simply pull off the connector to removeit. The retaining ring requires a counterclockwise turn for removal.
6. Take out the old headlight bulb by pulling it straightout from the headlight assembly.
7. Install a new replacement bulb by pushing it straightin with the flat part of the bulb's base facing upward. Be sure that thegrooves in the plastic base of the bulb align properly with those in theheadlight assembly.
8. Reinstall the remaining components of the headlightassembly in reverse order of removal and check that the headlights are workingproperly.
Read more: How toReplace a Headlight Bulb in a Ford Taurus ' eHow.com