Question about 1988 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

I have a 1989 Bronco that is leaking gas from a black and gray canister located between the fuel pump and the frame. It's on the drivers side. What is this part called and where can I find it?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

This was used as a Gas Line filter at one time.I was told that the filters are no longer being manufactured and most commmonly the canister is being used as a sedement bowl.I was unable to find an o ring at the time,and sealed the unit with a high grade silicone gasket sealer

Posted on Aug 01, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Got no fuel pressure will not start

When Ford Went to fuel injection on the 2.9 L V-6 they manufactured them with two fuel pumps.Pump number one is located in the fuel tank on a hanger complete with fuel gauge sending unit.This pump is used for volume.Fuel pump two is located on the drivers side almost directly under the drivers floor pan area nestled inside the frame.This pump is used for high pressure that is required for fuel injection.Your problem may lie in the pressure pump.Also the 2.9 L has a vacuum controlled pressure regulator that is located on the right hanf topside of the engine towards the backof the intake plenum on the fuel rail.It has two screws mounting it and is round with one single preformed vaccum line going to it.These have a filter screen that can become cloggedand be pushed into the regulator restricting fuel flow or the diaphragm just wears out.Check these three things out and ill bet you be running in no time.The bronco II`s also have two fuel filters one mounted on the drivers side mid vehicle nestle within the frame check it also.Well I hope this helps.

Good Luck...........

Mar 16, 2013 | 1990 Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

Fuel canister valve

Fuel vapor canister or charcoal canister. Your purge solenoid may be inoperable. When engine is running the solenoid energizes to purge the canister of vapors into a line going to the intake manifold.
Remove the canister and dump the fuel out-the charcoal element inside the canister can be replaced, if completely saturated with gas, as I suspect yours is. Getting it to work again may be a lot of fun on an '87-been too long for me-better find the repair procedure re: the canister, and how to check the purge solenoid.
Go to, register for free listing your make, model, year, and engine size. Look under repair guides for operation and testing of the charcoal canister. If not enough info there at autozone (some help is there, but not as much as in a repair manual), then buy the repair manual for your bronco or check at local library-they often have many repair manuals for check-out or reference.

Dec 09, 2012 | Ford Bronco II Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

I have a 1984 Ford Bronco with a carb. The carb is not getting any gas to it... I think it may be the fuel pump but not sure... It has a 351 HO. Is there a fuel pump in the tank that needs to be replaced...

You have a external fuel pump even if you have 2 fuel tank you are equipt with one pump. Its location is underneath the driver side along the framecansmo_183.gif

Sep 10, 2011 | 1984 Ford Bronco

2 Answers

Where is the fuel filter on a 2000 ford expedition

The fuel filter i typically located on the drivers side mounted on the underside frame of the vehicle. this will look like a canister with a metal fuel line running from it on both ends. the canister is usually black or gray and has one line coming from the back of the vehicle from the fuel tank running to the canister and another line in front of it running to the front of the vehicle. be careful when removing this from the vehicle because the will be some pressure built up in the lines so there will be some spray of fuel when first taken loose and off.
if you need further help with this issue please advise and i would certainly be glad to help you further.

Jun 08, 2010 | 2000 Ford Expedition

3 Answers

Where is fuel pump relay on 1988 Ford Bronco II

Fuse panel is located inside vehicle under dashboard on driver side. Fussible relays and links are located under the hood on the front of vehicle on drivers side.

Feb 21, 2010 | 1988 Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

Is there an access panel to the fuel pump on a 2002 ford excursion

FOR DIESELS=The fuel pump is located on the frame rail on the drivers side of 2002 and newer models for sure. Some older models locate them above the fuel tanks and are a pain to get to. if you slide under the vehicle just behind the drivers door look up into the drivers side frame rail on the side of the frame rail that is closer to the center of the vehicle. it is wraped in a black foam boot and it has wires coming from it. you can see the fuel line coming out of either end. One leading back to the tank and one going towards the engine. fuel pumps on older models is located on top of the fuel tank. You must drop the tank in order to get to it FOR GAS= Check the frame rail. If not, so..sorry it's above the gas tank

Dec 13, 2009 | 2002 Ford Excursion

2 Answers

Fuel flow or fuel filter problems

The fuel filter should look like a short soup can on the inside of the driver's side frame rail between the fuel tank and the engine. If a new filter does not fix your problem, have the fuel pressure checked, your fuel pump may have lost pressure and need to be replaced (fuel injected models).

Jun 20, 2009 | 1987 Ford Bronco II

2 Answers

Need to locate fuel filter

I want to say its located on the drivers side frame. Best thing to do is buy a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your Bronco.It has tons of info on how to do stuff to your Bronco. Might be your fuel pump. That's located in the fuel tank.

Oct 06, 2008 | 1994 Ford Bronco

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

95 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

77201 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22265 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5579 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides