Question about 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Hi, I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on what else I could do to troubleshoot my car before calling in the big guns, a.k.a. mechanic.
As I mentioned in the subject line, the engine will crank, but will not start. I can here the fuel pump engaging and there is pressure in the fuel line. So far, I've replaced the the fuel pump relay, ignition module, the spark plugs, wires and air filter. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like you just hit it...timing chain is bad. Try spraying ether into the air intake, it should attempt to start if it doesn't, would place a spark tester between the plug wire and the plug. If you have spark, there is only one thing left, change the timing chain.
Posted on Jul 20, 2010
You need to do a fuel pressure check.. You will need a special fuel gauge and the appropriate fittings and adapters are needed to properly test the fuel pressure.
1. Relieve the fuel pressure.
Remove the fuel pump relay form the Power Distribution Center (PDC) Start the engine and run until it stalls. attempt restating the engine until it will no longer run. Turn the ignition key off. Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal. Replace the fuel pump relay in the PDC. Any if you get any trouble codes at this time you will need to see a shop to have them cleared.
2. Disconnect the quick-connect fuel line fitting fuel gauge into the fuel line using the appropriate T-fitting and adapters.
3. Start the engine and check the pressure on the gauge, your reading should be 49 PSI with the pressure with the engine idling.
4. if the fuel pressure is not 49 PSI:
1) if fuel pressure is higher you could have a pinched of clogged fuel return hose of pipe. if the line is not obstructed check the fuel pressure regulator.
2) if fuel pressure is lower check the fuel filter, look for a pinched of clogged fuel hose between the tank and the fuel rail. check the pressure regulator for malfunctions. Look for leaks in the fuel line.
Hope this helps.
Posted on Jan 16, 2009
SOURCE: Won't run
There are to many things that can cause the no start. Here is a link that can help you understand the possible problems and links to how to retrieve the DTC codes which is activating your Auto Shutdown relay.
Good luck and hope this helps. Keep me posted http://www.allpar.com/fix/stall.html
Posted on May 26, 2009
SOURCE: 1997 dodge intrepid
check the asd relay swap it with another like it. also check fuses and old car alarm if it had one.the cam and crank sensor will not affect fuel pressure. the cam sensor should not stop this car from starting. but the crank sensor will. good luck.
Posted on Nov 23, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 04, 2016 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
May 18, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Apr 05, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Jan 20, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Jan 19, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Jan 01, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Dec 29, 2009 | 2004 Dodge Intrepid
Aug 02, 2009 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Jan 30, 2009 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
752 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!