Question about 1994 Buick Roadmaster
At first my car would not start then when i went to turn it it wouldnt turn now when i start it makes tap sound and my battery is fully charged what s wrong with my car?
Check the starting solenoid (most likely) and/or the starter (likely).
The starter system is initiated at the ignition switch when the key is turned to start. At this point, the ignition switch then provides +12VDC to the staring solenoid. The starting solenoid then performs two (2) functions. It provides the switching action (hundreds amps) from the battery heavy cable to the actual starter motor. The solenoid likewise pushes a small pinion gear along the shaft of the starter motor to engage the ring gear. The ring gear is of course on the edge of the flywheel which in turn is attached to the crankshaft.
Starter system problems could be corrected by:
1. check battery, battery cables and connections;
2. charge the battery if required;
3. clean brushes and guides of brush holders of the starter motor;
4. clean the commutator and commutator segments;
5. check/replace the armature or field coils if determined to be defective;
6. in some extreme cases it could be the drive pinion or the flywheel gear ring is defective.
7. often it is the big switch that the solenoid activates that looses contacts causing no +12V internally to the motor.
8. It could possibly be a defective the IGN switch itself. Relative to this, you might try and check the connectors/terminals and electrical joints.
In the picture below, the upper portion is the starter solenoid while the one below it is the actual starter.
Given the amount of work to overhaul a starter, you might consider just replacing it. On the otherhand, a solenoid is repairable except when burned.
This of course assuming that all other vital components of the car are working.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Jul 19, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 03, 2014 | BMW Cars & Trucks
Mar 20, 2009 | 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
Dec 25, 2008 | 1999 Chevrolet Blazer
Apr 02, 2017 | 1998 Kia Sephia
178 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: