Question about 1997 BMW Z3 Roadster

1 Answer

Rubber weatherstrip Water sipped in through left and right windows because of worn out rubber. I also need a replacement rubber for that portion where the edge of the hardtop meets that part of the car body above the windshield. Please help me identify the official name of the rubber part, better still if you can give me the part number so I can be very specific in making the order for replacement. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Posted by on

  • Daddykins Jul 13, 2008

    If you know the standard selling price for the above parts I shall be very grateful if you can also advise me.

  • Anonymous Nov 01, 2008

    I have a 1999 BMW Z3M hardtop the water pours in the drivers side gasket between the windshield gasket and roof. Is there a fix for this problem?

    Thanks Jack.



1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 97 Answers

Hey Daddykins!

Take a look at the following link:
They sell professional quality replacement weatherstripping / window gaskets with two styles available. You will have to trim to fit, but I'm sure this will save you $$$ over the BMW parts price. They also offer adhesives for installation, or you can get some 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (We used to call it 'gorilla snot', because it would stick anything to anything!).

Hope this helps you out and good luck with the project!


Posted on Jul 13, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Rubber worn around the sunroof window is fine

These usually have a drain in the unit which may be clogged. If it is just the rubber worn you might try using black RTV to make a patch, as a cheap fix, or just replace the worn part.

Dec 12, 2014 | 2002 Toyota RAV4

1 Answer

Rav4 sunroof leaks because of worn rubber seal and not because of clogged drain hole

most upholsterers should be able to help here If not go to a rubber dealer that sells sponge rubber etc as most have a good selection of auty trim rubbers that you can fit yourself. The best glue is loctite 406 Be careful as it is a super glue

Jan 10, 2013 | Toyota RAV4 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Water in rear cargo area

Where in cargo area? When? After a rainstorm? After a carwash?
I would position my wife or significant other in the rear with a flashlight and take it through a carwash to find out where the water is coming from first. Don't discount that it might be coming up from under the car when you drive.
It will probably be a weatherstripping issue on a door or some such. Inspect the rubber seals around all doors, hatchbacks, and windows. Weatherstripping and glue is pretty cheap if you need to replace anything.
Do not ignore this. Mold can grow in damp carpeting, and rust problems are not helped at all by moisture.

Nov 06, 2012 | 1995 Honda Odyssey

1 Answer

I have water leaking into the rear trunck of my 08 civic sedan

Open trunk and inspect rubber weatherstripping,something could be in the way when it is shut causing the weatherstrip not to seal or it's coming loose.Close trunk,get waterhose,water trunk and see actually where it's leaking.

Sep 08, 2012 | 2003 Honda Civic

1 Answer

I have a leak in the trunk and it is not the sunroof plugs. where else could that water be coming from?

The rubber water shield (weatherstripping) around the trunk opening must be leaking. Feel around for moisture along and under the rubber strip. Maybe a tear is letting water in. Maybe the rubber came loose from where it is glued down. If you find a possible source of the leak, use rubber cement (or weatherstripping glue from a parts store) to seal it back up.
Good luck.

Nov 29, 2011 | 2000 Volkswagen Beetle

2 Answers

I have a 2005 Freestar limited. when traveling over 100 km or if there is a strong wind there is a howl in the front right side of the windshield, or door jam or somewhere... I can't pinpoint exactly. This...

Check weatherstripping around windows and doors. Sometimes it's crushed slightly and air is getting through. Easy way to find it, take your rig to a self serve car wash & spray high pressure water in areas you suspect. If air gets in, so will water.

Mar 04, 2011 | 2005 Ford Freestar

1 Answer

1994 ford explorer passenger window will not go up but will go down from the passenger side but nothing from the driver side

Do you hear the motor run when you push the button? If so spray WD-40 with the red applicator tip in between the window and the rubber weatherstrip from the left side working over to the right side to free it if its rusted,jammed.Or the window is off the track and the panel needs to be removed or if no sound check the switches for corrosion or breaks then check wires to the motor and put a test light on them.

Dec 28, 2010 | 1994 Ford Explorer Limited

2 Answers

Water standing floor of 1991 corsica

That can be caused by the door or window seals. Around all your doors there is a rubber seal, this seal can degrade and allow water into the interior. There are also seals around the windows and front and rear windshields. If I were you I would visually inspect all the rubber seals on all your doors and windows, if any part of the seals is worn it should be replaced. You can buy universal weatherstripping kits off the shelf at any auto parts store to replace any of yours that are bad and it's pretty easy to install. You can also pick up a tube of silicone sealent to seal any small gaps or cracks in the existing seals.

Hope this helps

Feb 18, 2009 | 1991 Chevrolet Corsica

1 Answer

Replace small rear window

if you pull back the rubber weatherstrip that goes around the door, you will see a phillips head screw that holds the metal frame of the glass.

Dec 21, 2008 | 2000 Toyota Corolla

1 Answer

Change a rear window on 2005 f350

I changed to a slider in my F-250 some time ago, it wasn't difficult. I purchased an aftermarket slider, it had great directions. On removal be careful not to damage the weatherstripping around the window. I think I'd be tempted to have the quad take out the center and right side, which would probably make removal easier. Pull out (carefully) the weatherstrip from the window, work in some dishwashing liquid soap, it'll come out easier. Also it would be best to do it where it's warm so the rubber will be easier to flex for removal and installation (access to a heated garage?) Installation was a breeze, you put a rope in the opening of the window in the weatherstrip, hold the new window corner up tight , as u pull out the rope, it opens up the seal to allow the new slider to fit right in. I'm a little fuzzy on the removal procedure, but w/ patience, liquid soap, and care, u should be able to remove it. (check the directions that hopefully are included). Let me know how u make out.

Nov 17, 2008 | 2005 Ford F 350 Super Duty

Not finding what you are looking for?
1997 BMW Z3 Roadster Logo

Related Topics:

642 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top BMW Experts

Fred Sops

Level 2 Expert

272 Answers

Anthony Jones
Anthony Jones

Level 2 Expert

128 Answers


Level 2 Expert

281 Answers

Are you a BMW Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides