Question about 1990 Mazda MX-5

2 Answers

Water somewhere within the bodywork?

Every time we apply the brakes, or turn a corner, we get a sudden rush of water, which sounds like it is under the divers side of the car. It's like we re sitting in the bath!

Can anyone help?

Posted by on


2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Also you will here the gas sloshing in early models like mine!

Posted on Aug 06, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Brigadier General:

    An expert that has over 10,000 points.

  • Master
  • 6,966 Answers


To my knowledge, there could be two (2) main sections where water could accumulate and or be in such quantity that it could be heard sloshing around when braking or cornering. They would be in the:
1. door - normally there would be drain holes at the bottom of the door (sometimes covered with rubber stopper) just for this purpose;
2. the left body channel - that would be the extreme bottom left pat of the car's body running between the wheels. Again there would be drain holes and would at times be covered with rubber stopper or simply caked with mud.

Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.

Good luck and kind regards.

Thank you for using FixYa.

Posted on Jul 10, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer


I need a bit more information please to help with this. Is it a regular 'tick tick' rhythm that changes with road speed or does it only happen occasionally then go quiet for a while? Is it loud or quiet? Does it happen on rough surfaced roads? Does it happen when turning tight corners or when braking harder?
A regular noise suggests a braking issue and a intermittent sound suggests a suspension problem. Sound does travel through the bodywork so the issue may not be exactly where you here it.
Please comment with a bit more information and I might be able to give you a more accurate answer.

May 24, 2018 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

On my 2007 explorer the brake engage when you put the car in drive and the rcs light comes on

Do you mean the RSC light ?
  • Roll stability control (RSC)/interactive vehicle dynamics (IVD)
  • Roll Stability Control (RSC)
    The roll stability control (RSC) system monitors the roll-rate sensor and existing stability assist sensors and calculates if the vehicle may be approaching a situation where rollover is probable. If such a situation exists, the RSC system applies preemptive action. When activated, the RSC system adjusts the brake torque at specific wheels in response to direct measurement of the vehicle roll motion. By adjusting brake torque, the system can reduce the cornering forces and, therefore, the total roll moment acting on the vehicle. Systems with RSC have an additional roll-rate sensor located within the sensor cluster and additional programming within the ABS module to help control the vehicle during sudden maneuvers.
    Information from the roll-rate sensor is fed into the ABS module. The computer uses information from the ABS wheel speed sensors, the throttle position sensor, the steering wheel angle, the steering wheel rate of change and a yaw rate sensor that measures the change in vehicle direction. If the computer determines from all these inputs that conditions exist for a potential roll over, the system applies one or more brakes and reduces engine torque to make the vehicle more stable.
    If the event is severe and the driver's foot is not on the brake, the brake pedal moves to apply higher brake forces. A whooshing sound can also be heard from under the instrument panel in an event this severe .
    I strongly suggest you have this vehicle towed to a ASE certified repair shop that knows this system !

    Sep 19, 2015 | Cars & Trucks

    2 Answers

    I have a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager and water is leaking inside the van it appears from under the dash board and when I turn corners I can hear a lot of water rushing from side to side some where in th

    what you to check this . look where the wipers are there is a plastic vent , see if you can ply it up . there is a drain on each side to let water drian inside the fenders. here is the link to my garage I am on facebook

    Dec 15, 2012 | 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager

    2 Answers

    2006 Honda CRV makes screeching sound while turning corners

    built into the brake pads is a small bit of metal that when the pads get to low to be safe , runs on the rotor and produces the squeal applying the brakes stops the vibration so the noise drops off

    Jun 29, 2017 | 2006 Honda CR-V

    1 Answer

    When it rains my dodge ram 1500 will stall. After awhile of sitting it runs again. Aside from this I hear a water noise coming from under the dash in the cab like it in the AC, Heater or Vacuum hoses. I...

    my 98 has the same water noise. i went to a well established garage and asked the owner. he and his brother both have rams and have the same noise. i guess its a ram thing. its coming from the heater core. they said its nothing to worry about. his done it since he bought it 6 years ago

    Dec 24, 2010 | 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD

    1 Answer

    I have water running from under the passenger side interior floor board what could it be coming from or has any one else experienced it really flows when turning corners

    It sounds like condensed water from the air conditioner. Just like a glass with ice in it sweats, the cold part of an air conditioner sweats. That water needs to go somewhere. There is a drain on the bottom of the ductwork that comes out under the car, often toward the passenger side.

    If the drain gets plugged, the A/C still sweats, but the water builds up inside the ductwork.

    You can often clear the drain by blowing some air up the drain from the outside. (Don't use too much pressure!)

    Jun 15, 2010 | 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

    1 Answer

    Water in chassis from rain. When I accelerate or decelerate I can hear water rushing back and forth on both the drivers side and passenger side after a heavy rain. I took the trim off just under the door...

    Water could be in the sill sections. There are usually several drains in every door and box section but the sill drains tend to be small and easily blocked by factory applied sealer as much as mud and dirt.
    Sometimes a drain has to be "modified" and sometimes a new temporary or permanent drain must be produced.

    The water location might be pinpointed by jacking the vehicle in certain ways while stationary.

    Nov 15, 2017 | 2000 Mazda MX-5 Miata

    1 Answer

    When the ac is running it makes a bubbling gargling sound. when the car takes off from a stop you can hear water rushing and rolling about the engine compartment.

    Sounds like you might have a plugged drain hose from your condensor overflow reservoir. All of the water that drips off the condensor while you run your AC has to go somewhere. It's located under the passenger floor board and if it's not draining properly you can get a lot of water sitting in there.

    Oct 07, 2009 | Toyota Camry Cars & Trucks

    1 Answer

    When I take a corner you hear what sounds like rushing water behind the dash under the hood. Sometimes it is loder than others. The dealer where I purchased it said it is common inthese vechiles. I don't...

    well rushing water sounds are not going to cause a tranny to go.
    but a bad rad sure will.
    the rushing water you are hearing is an acumulation of water from the ac unit and it is building up in the catch pan.
    the catch pan has a drain vain and is backed up with dust bunnys and road grime.
    it needs to be lifted up and located and probed.
    sometimes you can just pinch the tip .

    Jun 12, 2009 | 2000 GMC Jimmy

    1 Answer

    Water in the cab from under dash passenger side

    The condensation drain is plugged in the heater/AC plenum, the drain is under the hood at the very bottom of the firewall on the passenger side.

    Dec 02, 2008 | 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cabs

    Not finding what you are looking for?
    1990 Mazda MX-5 Logo

    Related Topics:

    130 people viewed this question

    Ask a Question

    Usually answered in minutes!

    Top Mazda Experts


    Level 3 Expert

    79865 Answers

    Colin Stickland
    Colin Stickland

    Level 3 Expert

    22326 Answers

    Jeffrey Turcotte
    Jeffrey Turcotte

    Level 3 Expert

    8836 Answers

    Are you a Mazda Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

    Answer questions

    Manuals & User Guides