Question about 1996 Subaru Legacy
We replaced the headgaskets on our 1996 Legacy 2.5L 4 cylinder. After putting everything back together and double checking the timing, it will start at first and then go out after 5 seconds and then not start again until waiting 5 or more hours. the security light flashes, could this be the problem and if so, how do we disarm the security system?
After he changed the belt, did he reset the car;s computer using the autodiagnostic tool ?? if not kindly askhim to do so.. The computer doesnt know its been changed and is a bit confuesed at the moment so it cuts off to prevent damages.. Ask the mechanic about this what i have just told you and see what he says..
Posted on Jul 15, 2008
I would assume that when work was done on the engine, the battery was disconnected (even if for a short time only). If so, then the Anti-theft and Alarm System module goes into "Protect Mode" where the car's engine would turn off if somehow started and/or will not start until a given period of time (just as you have described).
A temporary workaround is to remove the door lock fuse but a more corrective procedure would be:
1. Turn ignition switch on
2. Hold button (pls see image) for 20 seconds or more (indicators would be the door locks will lock/unlock 3 times)
3. Turn ignition switch to off
This would also reset the key FOB so you should also press the "lock" button on the key FOB before releasing the black reset button (door locks will lock/unlock one more time--do this with each key FOB you own).
The image was originally posted here together with a more detailed explanation of the alarm system.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Jul 10, 2008
CODE ALARM SYSTEM
information is always subject to change and correction Used on:
Lock: Left button will lock all doors. Double chirp indicates locked.
Unlock: Right button will unlock driver's door only. Hold unlock button app 6 seconds, it will unlock all doors including rear gate. Single chirp indicated unlock.
If the car chirps or lights flash 4x the alarm was triggered.
Panic. Press both buttons to activate emergency honk and flashing lights.
Valet mode: With optional alarm only Press the red alarm button on the left of the steering wheel. The light will quickly double flash. To re-set back to normal mode, press the red alarm light button again
Battery failed and lights flashing?
Parking lights will flash when the vehicle's battery is disconnected and reconnected.
To stop lights from flashing, either:
Press remote transmitter “UNLOCK” button once OR turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position and press programming button for one second (see below).
The vehicle interior (courtesy) light and door open warning light (DOOR AJAR indicator) will then illuminate for 60 seconds when the ignition is turned off, or until the doors are locked with the remote transmitter. Yes, the dashboard instrument panel lights will flash when the parking lights flash.
Programming or Overriding the Alarm when you have lost the remote
Open driver's door.
Turn ignition key to 'On'
Press and *hold programming button* in (see diagram, button under dashboard)
After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button
Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.
Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.
Code Alarm Programming Button is under dashboard on the kick panel by the driver's left knee, left of the steering column. If you can't find it, it might still be tucked up in the wiring harness higher up in that same general area. The botton is recessed in a plastic ring (see diagram).
This button must be pressed while programming remotes or if the battery was disconnected and the lights are flashing.
Posted on Jul 10, 2008
OK. If the alarm system on your car is on, and you don't have any parts damaged, this step should deactivate the alarm on your Subaru .
First Check the Fuse number 25 15a.
If is damaged replace for good one.
Unlock vehicle with the key or turn ignition switch to ACC or RUN position during 30 seconds after remove the key,
Unlock the vehicle with the key. and alarm has to be diasarm.
Remenber between 3o seconds after remove the key from the ignition switch.
OK. I hope this information work for you ,
thank you for use fixya
Posted on Jul 10, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.
2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.
3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.
4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.
If you want to add a key....
1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.
3. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).
4. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.
5. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.
<HR>On-Board Programming Method "C"
for Ford keys (Later 1998-newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key....
1. This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minute delays involved while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computer to accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of two keys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individually by following the instructions for adding duplicate keys (below).
If you want to add a key....
**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**
1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.
3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.
4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE secondand turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5
As a precautionary measure for all of the above procedures, you should wait at least one minute after you have performed this until you start your vehicle.
Dec 10, 2016 | 1998 Ford Explorer
Jun 19, 2014 | 1995 Subaru Legacy
Aug 15, 2011 | 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva
May 11, 2011 | 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
Jan 14, 2011 | 1998 Subaru Legacy
Dec 26, 2010 | 1991 Buick Park Avenue
Nov 14, 2010 | 1998 Chevrolet K1500
Jun 22, 2009 | 1998 Ford Contour
Mar 08, 2009 | 1996 Buick Regal Olympic Gold
4,318 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: