Question about Saturn SC2
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
This P0341 code basically means that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem with the camshaft signal. The camshaft position sensor (CPS) sends a specific signal to the PCM for Top Dead Center on the compression stroke as well as signals indicating the position of the cam sensor. This is accomplished through a reluctor wheel attached to the camshaft that passes by the cam sensor. Any time that the signal to the PCM is inconsistent with what the signal should be, this code is set. NOTE: this code can also be set by extended cranking periods.
Symptoms: The car will likely run with this code set, as it is often intermittent and also because the PCM can often operate the vehicle in "limp-in/limp-home" mode even with a cam sensor signal problem. There may be no noticeable symptoms other than:
* Poor fuel economy (if engine runs)
* Possible no start condition
Causes: A code P0341 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Cam sensor wiring routed too close to spark plug wiring (causing interference)
* Poor wiring connection at cam sensor
* Poor wiring connection at PCM
* Bad cam sensor
* Damaged reluctor wheel
Possible Solutions: Often relacing the sensor fixes this code, but not necessarily. Therefore it's important to check the following:
* Check that the wiring isn't routed too close to any secondary ignition components (coil, spark plug wires, etc.)
* Visually inspect the wiring at the sensor for any burn marks, discoloration indicative of melting or chafing
* Visually inspect the cam sensor for damage
* Visually inspect the reluctor wheel through the cam sensor port (if possible) for any missing teeth or any damage
* If reluctor isn't visible from outside the engine, visual test can only be done by removing cam shaft or intake manifold (depending on engine design)
* If all checks out okay, then replace the sensor.
Related Camshaft Trouble Codes: P0340
Hope helps (remember to rate this answer).
Posted on Jan 03, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 01, 2011 | 1998 Saturn SC
Oct 26, 2009 | 1993 Saturn SC2
Oct 25, 2009 | 1998 Saturn SC
Jul 09, 2009 | 1998 Saturn SL
May 03, 2009 | 1998 Saturn SL
Apr 23, 2009 | 1998 Saturn SC
744 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: