I have a Boxer 2.5D fitted out as a camper. There is the main engine battery & split charge diode to supply on board leisure battery.
I replaced the main battery as old one died suddenly. This has been fine since but recently leisure battery has expelled a very bad spell while engine running. Have checked with voltmeter 16.7 v on both batteries with engine running.
I assume this is to high & is killing/boiling battery. Is there a regulator problem, alternator problem or other. What should I check next?
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
diodes do not regulate charge
simply put diodes are one way valves for electricity and are used to rectify alternating current (AC) to direct current(DC)
you use a voltage regulator after a rectifier pack to control the voltage from an alternator of maintain a max voltage of 14.5 volts dc
take it to an accredited bike electrician
Due to the nature of the battery technology used with vehicles the alternator is mostly incapable of charging the battery. The car alternator is designed to keep a fully charged battery fully charged and to provide all the power for the car equipment.
The alternator charge rate is regulated by a voltage regulator. Because the alternator output is connected to the battery, the alternator and battery voltage will be the same and the voltage regulator monitors that voltage.
The lower the battery voltage the more output the alternator will produce in order to correct the situation but because a lead acid battery has a high internal resistance to accepting a charge the terminal voltage will quickly rise to the alternator regulated voltage and fool the alternator into thinking the battery is fully charged when the output will drop to the order of just a couple of amps.
Switch on the headlights or a similar load that will lower the battery voltage and the alternator will increase it's output again - but only by the amount of current the headlamps or other load is consuming.
It matters not what the alternator rated maximum output is, it is designed to provide only the necessary current and no more.
The only time an alternator should ever need to produce maximum output is when on a dedicated testbed and then only for a short duration to avoid damaging the unit. Testing the current output on a modern vehicle is not recommended except for the regulated voltage testing and a rule-of-thumb output test where all equipment is switched on and the engine speed raised while the battery voltage is monitored.
Most modern alternators use an internal voltage regulator but a few systems use a separate voltage regulator. No alternator rebuild would be complete without a regulator test and probably a new or replacement regulator, which is where the majority of charging system problems are, or the brush gear.
Assuming the wiring is ok, no alternator should suffer any harm if the voltage regulator and auxilliary diodes (if fitted) are in good order though fitting a defective or a discharged battery can cause it to overheat and be damaged.
The alternator usually just about stops producing an output when the battery voltage is in the region of 14.5/14.8 volts.
Your description indicates the voltage regulator is not working correctly - unless 40 amps was being consumed by the car equipment the alternator should not have been producing 40 amps.. I suggest you also have your battery tested
I don't have any info on a Tec2 product, but the basic setup is to put a relay in between the camper battery and the voltage source to charge it. Most of the time the aux battery has a 10 or 12 gauge wire to charge it from the engine alternator and you break the connection with the relay. The relay would be "off" until the engine is running. Did you get a diagram with the Tec2 ?
Possible short to the starter. I had a similar problem with my '91 mercury capri. I replaced the alternator and battery but the alternator would not charge the battery. My local mechanic spent hours tracking it down, but finally found the problem. Have not had a problem since. Good luck
If you meant ALTERNATOR, this is coupled in the mainblet circuit and runs when the runs works. The alternator is the power supply source which produces the charging current for the battery. If produces AC and uses a DC recitifer and regulator to charge the battery with a limiter control so as not to damage the battery by overcharging. You need to check on the main belt to see this motor- like device fitted to the engine to run along. Please get some tips from the link below: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator
Over charging could be the result of several things including:
Faulty Voltage Regulator
A car's battery will overcharge if the voltage regulator isn't working correctly. A voltage regulator is usually part of the alternator, and is used to keep a steady flow of voltage to the battery. If the voltage regulator is defective, it will send either too little or too much charge to the battery. If it sends too much, the car battery will overcharge. The voltage regulator is easily replaceable at an easily affordable price, sometimes for as little as twenty dollars, as of 2009.
Sometimes the alternator itself can be at fault. The alternator is the device that converts the mechanical power of the engine into electrical power to charge the battery. When an alternator breaks, it usually stops creating electricity for the battery, which will then eventually die. However, if the wrong alternator is placed in the car, or if the alternator is running at the wrong pace, it will create too much energy for the car battery, causing it to overcharge. The alternator is another easily replaced part.
Incorrect Charger Use
If a battery charger is used to charge your battery outside of your car, improper use of the charger can result in overcharging. If a battery is placed on the charger too long, it can result in overcharging, and a significant decrease in your battery's lifespan and efficiency. This is why it is important to read about your specific battery and understand how long it needs to charge to be effective. Too much charge will lead to problems.
Faulty Battery Chargers
Sometimes chargers can be faulty. Their settings may be wired incorrectly, or the charges labeled incorrectly. As a result, your battery may be getting overcharged, even if you are carefully monitoring your charging. This is a problem that is hard to avoid, as manufacturing mistakes can happen anywhere, anytime without warning. It is a good idea to test your charger regularly to see if it is running correctly.
Extreme heat in the summer can also have an adverse effect on the car battery. If the battery has been previously overcharged, extreme heat can increase the problems caused by overcharging, and exacerbate any other problems with the battery. This problem can be hard to avoid if you live in a warm climate. The only real way to ensure safety against this problem is to avoid overcharge in the first place.
I can't give you a schematic but i can tell you where the wires should go;Battery post of the alternator should go to the center post of the battery splitter box that splits between the engine and the house.In the alternator plug the wire closest to the battery post of the alternator needs to go to the charge light or an ignition source.The other pin in the plug can just be looped the the battery post of the alternator.If you have no power to the alternator but do have power to the box that splits the power from vehicle to house the you need to put all the wires on the post marked batt until you can get a new one,this should get you up and running.If you are planing to remain camping with the temporary repairs made then separate the wires until you are ready to start the camper to prevent a dead battery condition if the house battery gets run down.Hope this helps.
You need to get the alternator output checked.
If you can smell something like rotten eggs then what you are smelling is hydrogen gas which is explosive !!
Batteries get hot and smell because the alternator is charging at too high a level. Check the output with a multimeter across the battery with the engine running. If it reads higher then 14.4 volts, its the alternator and you need to fix it as overcharging of your battery will cause total failure (if it has not already screwed your battery)..