I'm glad I found this website because I had the same problem while driving to work on the highway on the coldest day of the year so far. (-25 C) My windshield was covered with frozen road gunk and I had to keep pulling over to manually clean it off so I could see. My first instinct once I got to work was to track down a new wiper motor on my lunch hour but before I did read the suggestion about lubricating the linkages. I've sprayed everything I could get to with WD40 and the problem seems to be totally solved. I hope it stays that way.... My thanks to the poster who suggested it.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
ONLY PROCEDURE FOR WIPER MOTOR IS YOU HAVE 2 SPEEDS THAT WORK SLOW AND FAST SPEED.WIPERS WILL RETRACT TO THE BOTTOM OF HOOD LINE WHEN YOU TURN OFF. WIPERS SHOULD TURN OFF. CHECK WIPER RESERVOIR MAKE SURE ITS FULL AND WIPER WASHER SPRAY FLUID CLEAN WINDSHIELD. IF WIPER MOTOR DO ALL THE ABOVE THEN ITS OKAY.IF WIPER MOTOR WORKS SLOW LOOK FOR BINDING AT WIPER ARM LINKAGE AND PIVOT LUBRICATE LINKAGE AND PIVOT COULD HELP.IF WIPER MOTOR DONT WORK CHECK FOR POOR GROUND OR BLOWED FUSE.WIPER WORK AT ONE SPEED CONTROL SWITCH IS BAD.IF WIPER BLADES STOP WHERE EVER THEY ARE OR FAIL TO TURN OFF UNLESS YOU TURN OFF IGNITION SWITCH WIPER MOTOR LIMIT SWITCH BROKEN.IF WIPERS DONT RETRACT BELOW BOTTOM HOOD LINE LOOK FOR MECHANICAL OBSTRUCTION OR WIPER MOTOR FAULTY.
No solution sorry - mine have done exactly the same - will wipe front screen if you mess with the stalk - rear wiper works when you push the stalk forwards or backwards but no washer to either - have you found a solution? Kind regards - Andy
2002 Ford F-250 Windshield Wiper Motor
Removal & Installation
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Turn the ignition switch ON until the wiper blades are straight up, then turn the ignition switch OFF.
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Remove the right-hand and left-hand windshield wiper arm and blade assemblies.
4. Remove the cowl top vent panels.
5. Detach the electrical hardness connector at the windshield wiper motor assembly.
6. Remove 3 wiper motor (module assembly) retaining bolts and remove the module assembly from the vehicle.
7. Remove the wiper linkage retaining bolt and remove the linkage from the wiper motor.
8. Remove 3 retaining nuts and remove the windshield wiper motor
9. Place the windshield wiper motor in position and install 3 retaining nuts. Tighten to 10-12 ft. lbs. (12-17 Nm).
10. Connect the wiper linkage to the windshield wiper motor and install the retaining bolt. Tighten the bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
11. Place the wiper motor (module assembly) in position and install 3 retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 6 ft. lbs. (9Nm).
12. Install the electrical hardness connector to the windshield wiper motor.
13. Connect the negative battery cable.
14. Allow the windshield wiper motor to cycle several times while checking for proper wiper motor operation.
15. Turn the windshield wiper motor to the OFF position to park the wiper motor in the park position.
16. Install the cowl top vent panels.
17. Install the wiper arm and blade assemblies. Install the retaining nuts and tighten to 22-29 ft. lbs. (30-40 Nm).
18. Connect the negative battery cable.
19. Check the windshield wiper motor for proper operation and the wiper arms for adjustment.
if you have only one wiper arm moving then your wiper linkage is broken i get used wiper linkages from the auto recyclers to remove the old one you have to remove the 2 wiper arms raise them up and slide the little clip out to hold it upright either pry or wiggle the arm off then undo the screws for the grill under the wiper arms while the hood is raised undo the bolt on the wiper motor etc. replace the part and put everything back together you may have to try putting the wiper arms on a few times until it doesn't hit the edge of the windshield and retracts down properly $40 (Canadian) for used parts if you do it yourself $90 - $130 in new parts maybe $140 - $200 in parts and labor to have someone else do it
Water can enter and displace the grease in the wiper arm linkage ball joint where the wiper linkage attaches to the wiper motor linkage.
This can result in gradual wear over a period of time inside the joint that could lead to the separation of the wiper linkage assembly from the wiper motor linkage at the ball joint. A loss of windshield wiper function can result when this separation occurs.
To prevent grease from being washed out of the joint, the dealers will modify by adding a water diversion seal that will prevent water from entering the windshield wiper linkage ball joint area.
Pivot Shafts and Linkage
The windshield wiper assembly is mounted below cowl top extension (021A36) . Linkages are connected with non-removable plastic ball joints. Windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shafts are an integral part of the windshield wiper and are serviced as one unit.
Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301). Refer to Section 14-01 .
Remove antenna mast from the antenna base.
Remove cap on LH and RH windshield wiper pivot arms to expose nuts retaining the arms to pivot shafts.
Remove two nuts, one from each of windshield wiper pivot arms . Lift wiper arms to service position, carefully rocking them back and forth to loosen them from the pivot shaft. Lift off windshield wiper pivot arms .
Remove seven screws retaining the cowl top vent panel.
Disconnect windshield washer hose (17A605) at LH side of vehicle just ahead of where it enters cowl top.
Remove hood cowl seal.
Carefully remove cowl top vent panel from vehicle.
Remove three retaining screws to cowl drain tube that is connected to top cowl.
Disconnect wiring harness leading to windshield wiper motor.
Remove five screws retaining cowl top to vehicle and remove cowl top and windshield wiper from vehicle.
Remove two screws and two nuts retaining windshield wiper to cowl top and separate the two parts.
Remove drive linkage from motor shaft linkage.
Remove remaining screws attaching windshield wiper and separate the two parts.
Cowl Top Panel
Nut (2 Req'd)
Windshield Wiper Motor
Screw (2 Req'd)
Windshield Wiper Assembly
Tighten to 9-12 Nm (80-106 Lb-In)
you likely broke the plastic gear inside the wiper motor by turning wiper on when wipers were frozen to glass. you will have to replace the motor.
you can buy motor on Ebay cheap.
you have to remove screen at bottom of windshield for access. remove side windshield mouldings to be abe to get screen off.
watch very, very carefully how you get wiper linkage out or you will have a hard time getting it back in.