Clean all dirt and/or grease from the
fuel filter fittings. "Quick Connect" fittings are used on models
equipped with a pressurized fuel system. These fittings must be
disconnected using the proper procedure or the fittings may be damaged.
The fuel filter uses a "hairpin" clip retainer. Spread the two hairpin
clip legs about 1/8 in. (3mm) each to disengage
it from the fitting, then pull the clip outward. Use finger pressure
only; do not use any tools. Push the quick connect fittings onto the
filter ends. Mazda recommends that the retaining clips be replaced
whenever removed. The fuel tubes used on these fuel systems are
manufactured in 5/16 in. and 3/8
in. diameters. Each fuel tube takes a different size hairpin clip, so
keep this in mind when purchasing new clips. A click will be heard when
the hairpin clip snaps into its proper position. Pull on the lines with
moderate pressure to ensure proper connection. Start the engine and
check for fuel leaks. If the inertia switch (reset switch) was
disconnected to relieve the fuel system pressure, cycle the ignition
switch from the OFF
position several times to re-charge the fuel system before attempting to start the engine.
Remove the "hairpin" clip retainers to access the fuel line fittingsThe
inline reservoir type fuel filter should last the life of the vehicle
under normal driving conditions. If the filter does need to be
replaced, proceed as follows:
the fuel filter is being serviced with the rear of the vehicle higher
than the front, or if the tank is pressurized, fuel leakage or
siphoning from the tank fuel lines could occur. to prevent this
condition, maintain the vehicle front end at or above the level of the
rear of vehicle. also, relieve tank pressure by loosening the fuel fill
cap. cap should be tightened after pressure is relieved.
flow direction arrow should be positioned as installed in the bracket
to ensure proper flow of fuel through the replacement filter.
- Shut the engine off. Depressurize the fuel system.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
the fuel lines from both ends of the fuel filter by disengaging both
push connect fittings. Install new retainer clips in each push connect
- Note which way the flow direction arrow points on the old filter.
- Remove the filter from the bracket by loosening the filter retaining clamp enough to allow the filter to pass through.
- Install the filter in the bracket, ensuring proper direction of flow as noted by arrow. Tighten clamp to 15-25 inch lbs.
- Install the push connect fittings at both ends of the filter.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove or disconnect the following:
- Negative battery cable
- Push connect and R-clip fittings from the fuel filter
- Fuel filter
Fuel filter location and connections–2002–2006
- Install or connect the following:
- Fuel filter. Torque the nut to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- R-clip and push connect fittings
- Negative battery cable
- Start the vehicle, check for leaks and repair if necessary.