- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Locate the programming connector located in the LH trunk. Trim may have to be pulled back to access programming connector. ( Connector has black/white wires leading up to it and it is not connected to anything.)
probably-- to program a fob key correctly you should have the car and the key hooked up to a computer so that the immobiliser can be programmed to the key
best done at a service dealer or qualified locksmith
Walk out to the vehicle with a new battery in the key fob and press the lock AND unlock button at the same time while you stand close to the vehicle for 7 seconds. You will hear the doors go thru a lock and unlock cycle, your fob is now programmed. This will sync existing programmed controllers, security sync. to program new remotes:In the trunk, connected to the wireless remote controller (driver side on wheel well, need to remove 'mat') is an empty connector with 2 wires connected. short the two connector pins. The locks will all cycle. Press and hold lock/unlock buttons on remote until locks cycle on/off. repeat for other remotes. Remove short across connector pins. Test new remote(s).Warning:existing remotes are deprogrammed, only remotes programmed will work from now on.This worked on my 1998 Cavalier. Be sure battries in new remote(s) are good! Answer Locate the data link connector under the dash (under the steering column). Ground out pin #8 of the DLC (top right port) with a jumper wire to any piece of metal close by (I use the e brake hardware). The door locks will then lock & unlock to let you know you are in the programming mode. Simultaneously press & hold the lock & unlock button on one of the keyless entries until the locks cycle (this lets you know the transmitter has been programmed). Repeat this step for your second transmitter. You must reprogram the 2nd transmitter within 60 seconds of programming the 1st one or you have to start over. Note
To open your trunk there is a lever to the left of the driver seat, on the floor. If you lift this it will pop the trunk. If you have the electronic key fob that came with the car , there is a trunk button on it. If you press the trunk button twice the trunk lid will pop open automatically. You can get inexpensive key fobs on line and program them yourself if you do not have an electronic key fob.
Here is a quick HowTo on programming your own keyless entry:
1) Turn ignition to OFF. 2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be. You have to look up into the dash from below to see it. 3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it. 4) Close all of your doors. 5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The power door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming. 6) Push a button on your key fob, doesn't matter which button. 7) If you have 2 key fobs, then press a button on the 2nd fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st fob. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 fob then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one. 8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received. 9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.10) your done
Manual Programming Procedure (non scan tool)
1. Connect pin 1 of the 16-way data link connector to chassis ground or to pin 4 of
the 16-way data link connector.
2. Close all doors, turn ignition key to off.
3. Turn ignition key to Accessory.
4. Turn ignitionto off, door locks will cycle once (in programming mode).
5. For each key FOB, press any button 3 times in a row to program code. When
programming is complete, the door locks will cycle once.
IF A SECOND KEY FOB REQUIRES PROGRAMMING, IT MUST BE PROGRAMMED WITHIN 1 MINUTE OF
THE FIRST FOB PROGRAMMING. PRESS ANY BUTTON ON THE SECOND FOB 3 TIMES TO PROGRAM ITS CODE. WHEN PROGRAMMING IS COMPLETE, THE DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE ONCE.
6. The programming mode finishes after the following:
a. Programming of two key FOBS is completed.
b. One minute has passed since programming.
c. Pin 1 of 16-way data link connector is removed from ground connection.
d. Ignition switch is turned on.
e. Any of the doors are opened.
key fobs have to be the same gm id number on back of fob and need to be programmed for your car by the dealer. its expensive . i had to have it done on my car. other fob i had could not be programmed to work, wrong gm id number