I need to program a new remote for keyless entry. I have found the programming directions, which tell me to look under the left side dash AKA kicker panel and look for the keyless remote box. Then find the red connector that is attached to nothing. Jump this...to proigram. Well, I can not find anything remotely close to being a red connector.
Chances are good the previous owner had some electrical work done, and now I am victim of "Where the hell is it?"
Any advice on what to look for. I am not even sure if I located the remote keyless entry box.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert that has over 500 points.
Re: 1995 GMC Jimmy Keyless remote location
Make sure the place you are looking is under the steering wheel, not just the dash. The panel can be removed under the steering wheel and the connector can be shorted out. You should see a red connector or red wire. If rewiring was done, you might need to find a flashlight and follow every wire that is attached to any connector under the steering wheel. You should be able to pull the wires out enough to get a good look.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Here are the instructions from the factory service manual: 1. Enter 5-digit permanent entry code into the keyless entry keypad. 2. Within 5 seconds of pressing last button of code, press the 1/2 button. All doors will lock then unlock confirming you are in programming mode. 3. Press any button on first Keyless Remote within 5 seconds of pressing the 1/2 button. Locks will cycle to indicate succesful programming. 4. If you are programming more than one Keyless Remote (Including any exsiting remotes) Press any button on second keyless remote within 5 seconds of previous remote. Locks will cycle again to indicate succesfull programming. (If the keypad light goes out before all remotes are programmed the entire process must be repeated). 5. Press the 7/8 and the 9/0 buttons simultaneously on the keypad to exit program mode.
To program ( or reprogram ) a keyless entry remote transmitter into the remote keyless entry module, perform the following steps:
1. Turn the key to ON or ACC and short the two terminals of the program connector, a two-pin connector located below the driver's side of the instrument panel at the base of the steering column. All doors should lock and then unlock. 2. Press any button on each keyless entry remote transmitter in turn. All doors should lock and then unlock. If the door locks do not respond, press the button again (up to three times maximum with the same keyless entry remote transmitter). If the door locks still fail to respond, go to Pinpoint Test A. 3. Repeat Step 2 to program additional keyless entry remote transmitters into the remote keyless entry module (up to four keyless entry remote transmitters maximum). 4. Turn key off. 5. Remove the short from the program connector. All doors should lock and then unlock. 6. Verify that the keyless entry remote transmitters have been successfully programmed by pressing the LOCK or UNLOCK button on each one, and observing that the system responds by locking and/or unlocking the doors.
Step by Step Solution:
1. Check the battery in your Key Fob/Remote, Replace?
2. If after replacing battery and still does not work then may have lost programming, or bad keyless entry module.
3. May need to take to dealer to have programmed or keyless entry module replaced.
Programming Electronic Door Lock Control System
NOTE: The electronic door lock control processor (14B001) erases all
previous keyless entry remote transmitter (15K601) from memory when the keyless
entry remote transmitters are programmed or reprogrammed. The electronic door
lock control processor can store up to four keyless entry remote transmitters in
To program (or reprogram) keyless entry remote transmitter into the
electronic door lock control processor, perform the following steps:
Turn ignition switch to the RUN position and momentarily short the two
terminals of the program connector taped to the wire assembly and located behind
the glove compartment. All doors should lock and then unlock. Remove shorting
Press any button on keyless entry remote transmitter. All doors should lock
and then unlock to verify the keyless entry remote transmitter has been
programmed. If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times
maximum with the same keyless entry remote transmitter).
Repeat the above step to program additional keyless entry remote transmitters
into the electronic door lock control processor (up to four keyless entry remote
Turn ignition switch OFF. All doors should lock and then unlock.
HOLD TO UNLOCK BUTTON ON YOUR DRIVERS DOOR, WHILE HOLDING BUTTON DOWN TURN KEY ON, OFF, ON OFF, ON OFF, YOUR DOOR LOCKS SHOULD CYCLE,. LET GO OF THE UNLOCK BUTTON. HOLD DOWN LOCK AND UNLOCK BUTTONS ON YOUR REMOTE AT THE SAME. IT WILL TAKE ABOUT 1 MIN AND YOUR DOOR LOCKS WILL CYCLE AGAIN. IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN ONE REMOTE, HOLD DOWN LOCK AND UNLOCK ON THAT REMOTE AFTER FIRST REMOTE IS PROGRAMMED. ONE AT A TIME. TURN VEHICLE ON AND TURN BACK OFF. YOUR REMOTES SHOULD WORK. GOOD PLACE TO HOLD YOUR REMOTES IS CLOSE TO IGN. CYLINDER SWITCH
SECTION 501-14B: Keyless Entry/Computer Operated Locks
1999 Town Car Workshop Manual
Programming —Keyless Entry Keypad Code
Enter the permanent factory keyless entry keypad code.
Press the 1/2 button within five seconds to activate the programming mode. Holding the 1/2 button for more than two seconds will erase all stored customer codes. The existing codes do not need to be erased to program new codes.
Enter the new five-digit keyless entry keypad code.
To associate the new code with personality positions 1, 2 or 3, press the 1/2 button within 5 seconds of entering the 5th digit of the new code for position 1 or 3/4 button for position 2 or 5/6 for position 3. The door locks will lock and unlock confirming the new code is programmed.
If another code is to be programmed, begin entering the code within 5 seconds of the last button pressed.
After all new keyless entry codes are programmed:
Press keyless entry keypad buttons 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time to exit the program mode.
Wait for 5 seconds; the driver door module (DDM) will exit the program mode automatically.