Question about 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Most likely the clutch or the fourth gear is defective. But it might also be from the solenoid controlling the hydraulic piston of the clutch. The only way to know for sure is to have the error codes read - it's a very simple and cheap operation that even some parts stores can do it : it's just connecting a small handheld fault code reader to the truck. The error codes will tell you what part is defective.
Posted on Nov 10, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
1-2 Shift Solenoid Valve
3-4 Shift Valve Bore Plug
Burned, slipping, missing
4th Servo Cover
4th Servo Pin
4th Servo Piston
4th Servo Seals
Rolled, cut or damaged
Slipping or No Fourth Gear
Slipping or No Fourth Gear Checks
DEFINITION: A large engine RPM increase is noted in fourth gear, Drive range, with little or no vehicle forward speed increase. First, second, and third gear operation are normal. Shifts into fourth gear are soft or do not occur. Fourth gear ratio is 0.705:1.
Automatic Transmission Fluid Level
Low fluid level
Transmission Main Line Pressure
Low transmission main line pressure
Oil Filter Assembly
• The oil filter assembly (100) is missing, plugged, or damaged.
• The oil filter seal assembly (101) is missing or is damaged.
Control Valve Body Assembly
• The 3-4 shift valve (362) or the 4-3 manual downshift valve (360) is stuck or binding.
• Debris is found in the passages of the control valve body (301) or of the control valve body spacer plate and gasket assembly (396)
Case Cover Assembly
Distortion or damage occurs at the manual valve (404) or at the case cover (401), causing PRN oil leak.
Driven Sprocket Support Assembly
A plugged third clutch oil passage in the driven sprocket support assembly (609)
Fourth Clutch Assembly
• The clutch plates (500-502) are worn, damaged, or misassembled.
• A missing or not seated fourth clutch spring retaining ring (601)
• A damaged spring assembly (602) or piston (603)
• Worn or damaged fourth clutch piston seals (604, 605)
Third Clutch Sprag Assembly
• The sprag (720) was misassembled or backwards on the inner race (661).
• A damaged third clutch sprag assembly (653, 661, 719-721)
Dec 06, 2015 | Pontiac Cars & Trucks
Apr 02, 2013 | 1999 Hyundai Sonata
Apr 11, 2017 | 1999 Kia Sportage
Jul 15, 2012 | 1997 Suzuki Vitara
Jun 03, 2011 | 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Jan 11, 2011 | 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Dec 27, 2010 | 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Sep 21, 2008 | 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
16 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: