Question about 1988 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

When I was changing the transmission filter on my 1988 Ford bronco full size, there was a mushroom looking plastic piece w/ an o-ring around it in my fluid pan. What is it and where does it go?

Posted by on


1 Answer

Broken piece of the filter with an orange "O" ring on it?

Posted on Nov 10, 2010

  • slickslyder Nov 10, 2010

    I was thinking that but it wasn't broken at all and the new filter didn't have one. Looks like a plunger. The tranny wont shift and revs high rpms and top speed is 35 MPH at 4,000 rpms. It done this b4 but I put fluid in and it worked properly after a bit.

  • Anonymous Nov 10, 2010

    Take that part to a trans shop,so they can ID it for you



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

What can I do to fix my 1988 Ford Bronco xlt with a 351 engine that has rough idle and loss of power when in drive?

Fuel filter. Low fuel no power. Catalytic converter. no air out, no air in. loss of power.

Jan 25, 2015 | 1988 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

While changing the transmission pan gasket and filter i noticed a piece of plastic in the pan. it is about 2 inches long and looks like a mushroom with an o-ring on the head of it. i cant figure out where...

Hi, welcome to my name is Shawn and I will be answering your question.

That yellow plug is from the factory. They use that to plug the dipstick tube hole before they install the dipstick tube to keep the fluid from running out. Just throw out the yellow plastic piece. When they install the dipstick tube it pushes the piece into the trans pan where it stays until you change the fluid and throw it out.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Aug 09, 2011 | Mercury Cougar Cars & Trucks

2 Answers


1) remove the grille screws
2) tilt the top of grille forward to reveal the 2 screws under the headlight
3)Remove the four screws on the headlight retaining ring one at each corner.
4) pull the head light forward and unplug the headlight.
The top middle screw and outside end middle screw are your adjustments, the chrome piece holds the light in

Mar 01, 2011 | 1988 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

Fuel leaking from a round black part in the fuel system. this part has two fuel lines entering and exiting. what is this part called? the bottom of this part screws on or off.

it is a fuel canister (some had a filter in them and some did not it is wise to change the filter it helps clean fuel before the fuel pump) it is located under drivers side door.. when you unscrew it you can use a oil filter wrench be careful it is plastic..there is normally a o-ring that goes around the bottom piece the o-ring will dry out and it will leak..go to parts store get a new filter, clean the parts really good, you will get a o-ring with the filter but the ones i have changed i have found the o-ring is a joke and as long as it is clean and no cracks, you really dont need the o-ring..

Jan 09, 2011 | 1988 Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

WHERE IS THE SPEEDOMETER FUSE ON A 88 FORD BRONCO XLT (FULL SIZE my speedometer and milege gadge isnt working ..was told to ck the fuse ...wher is that??

Sorry there is no fuse for this it runs off of the speedometer cable, the gear on the end is bad or the connection the the transmission is loose or not attached. it is on the drivers side of the transmission toward the back of the transmission..

Oct 26, 2010 | 1988 Ford Bronco II

1 Answer

1988 ford bronco 4x4 fuil injection is the firing order the same as carb engin eng.302

1988 Ford Bronco Full Size 5.8 liter V-8 VIN "H"


Hope helps.

Jul 21, 2010 | 1988 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

Unidentified part in trans pan. plastic mushroom shaped prat w/ o-ring around the head of it

This is a disposable piece that was used by the manufacturer when the transmission was initially filled with fluid at the factory. Just throw it away.

Jun 26, 2010 | 2001 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

1988 Ford Bronco Transmission Issues

is the idle speed correct? do you shift into second before trying to engage reverse?, is the clutch ok, this is most likely not the trans at all but one of the above issues, the clutch is my guess.

Sep 14, 2009 | 1988 Ford Bronco

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

106 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

80263 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5687 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides