Question about 1997 Dodge Intrepid
Hi. You might need to Replace the oil pan gasket is the oil is leaking. Here's the procedure on how to Replace the oil pan gasket.
1. Jack up the front end of the car and slide a jack stand under the vehicle. Make sure the jack stand is securely in place, and then put blocks in front of the rear wheels to keep them from rolling.
2. Slide under the car and put a drain pan under the drain plug of the oil pan. Loosen the drain plug with a socket wrench and allow all of the old oil to drain into the pan. Remove the old oil filter.
3. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the dipstick and its housing. Remove the collar on the rear of the oil pan. If the vehicle is equipped with engine oil cooler lines that lead to the oil pan, remove them as well, along with transmission oil cooler clips.
4. Remove the bolts holding the oil pan, and carefully remove the oil pan. Remove the old gasket. Scrape it with a putty knife if necessary, but be very careful not to scratch the surface.
5. Wipe out the oil pan with a clean cloth or paper towel, and wipe the joining surface of the oil pan with cleaning fluid or solvent. Apply a thin bead of automotive sealer and install the new gasket.
6. Replace the oil pan, tightening the bolts securely. Replace the transmission oil cooler clips, engine oil cooler lines, oil pan collar, dipstick housing and dipstick, and reconnect the negative battery cable. Install a new oil filter.
7. Take the car off the jack stand and fill the engine with the appropriate amount of SAE 10W-30 or SAE 5W-30.
All the best!
Posted on Nov 09, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 24, 2014 | 2003 Dodge Intrepid
Feb 11, 2013 | 1997 Dodge Intrepid
Jul 21, 2011 | 1997 Dodge Intrepid
Jun 23, 2010 | 1995 Dodge Intrepid
Apr 04, 2010 | 2004 Dodge Intrepid
Apr 10, 2009 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Mar 09, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Intrepid
Sep 22, 2008 | 1997 Dodge Intrepid
234 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: