Question about 2001 Mazda Protege
P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms: You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
Causes: A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible solutions include::
* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
Hope helps (remember to rate this).
Posted on Nov 09, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 11, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 27, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jun 02, 2015 | Toyota Cars & Trucks
Apr 10, 2014 | 2000 Lexus RX 300
Aug 27, 2012 | 2001 Buick Regal
Feb 29, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 26, 2011 | 2003 Toyota Corolla
Jan 26, 2010 | 2003 Dodge Neon
System Too Lean (Bank 2)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Dec 17, 2009 | 2002 Ford Windstar Cargo
Oct 22, 2009 | 2001 Cadillac DeVille
819 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: