Keep getting code po420
Before Checking a Catalytic
Before you troubleshoot an OBD II vehicle that stores
DTC P0420 (67) (catalyst system efficiency below
threshold), run these quick checks:
1. Check for a leak in the exhaust system. If you find
one, repair it, clear the DTC, and test-drive the
• If the DTC returns, go to step 2.
2. Connect the PGM Tester, and test-drive the vehicle
while an assistant monitors the voltage signal from
the secondary oxygen sensor (HO2S S2). After the
catalyst reaches operating temperature, the HO2S S2
voltage should stay between 0.5 and 0.8 V at steady
cruising speed. During deceleration, the voltage
should be steady at 0.1 V or less.
• If the voltage readings are OK, clear the DTC.
• At cruising speed, if the voltage fluctuates or stays
below 5 V, go to step 3.
3. Measure the inlet and outlet external temperatures of
the catalytic converter with a thermometer capable
of reading up to 500°F.
• If the outlet temperature is more than 100°F hotter
than the inlet temperature, the converter is OK.
• If the outlet temperature is less than 100°F hotter
than the inlet temperature, replace the converter.
Aug 28, 2009 |
2001 Honda Odyssey