The filter should be inspected for external damage and/or leakage at least once a year. The fuel filter should be changed only as necessary. Toyota Motor Corporation recommends replacing the carbureted fuel filters at 15,000 miles and 30,000 miles on fuel injected models.
NOTE: Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank vapor vent system hoses and fuel tank bands should be inspected every 60,000 miles or every 36 months. The fuel tank cap gasket should be replaced 60,000 miles or every 72 months.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The fuel filter on carbureted engines is a plastic cylinder with two ports for the fuel. It is usually located in the engine compartment near the charcoal canister.
Fuel Injected Engines
- Using a pair of pliers, expand the hose clamp on one side of the filter, and slide the clamp further down the hose, past the point to which the filter pipe extends. Remove the other clamp in the same manner. Grasp the clamps and slide them up the hose slightly above the filter ends
- Grasp the hoses near the ends and twist them gently to pull them free from the filter pipe. Slide the hose off the end of the fuel filter end
- Pull the filter from the clip and discard. Be carefull when removing the filter, some fuel may spill out if not held upright
how to change the fuel filter - 88271p12.jpgttp://i.fixya.net/uploads/images/88271p12.jpg" alt="88271p12.jpg" class="h_mi" />
- Install the new filter into the clip. The arrow must point towards the hose that runs to the carburetor.
- Push the hoses onto the filter pipes, then slide the clamps back into position.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding with working on the fuel system. This will depressureize the fuel system. The fuel filter can be hard to locathow to change the fuel filter - 88271pa1.jpgngines
Fig. 4: Exploded view of the fuel filter mounting - 1993-97 models
Failure to depressurise the fuel system could cause personal injury.
- Disconnect the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor wiring.
- Loosen the air cleahow to change the fuel filter - 88271g04.gifmp bolt, the disconnect the four air cleaner cap clips.
Fig. 6: Loosen the air cleaner hose clamp bolt
- Spearate the air cleaner hose from the throttle body, and remove the air cleaner cap together with the air cleanehow to change the fuel filter - 88271g05.gifi class="h_mi">Disconnect the EVAP canister hose from the charcoal canister.
Fig. 7: Remove both EVAP hoses from the charcoal canister
- Remove the charcoal canister from the bracket.
- Place a suitable container or shop towel under the fuel filter. Remove the union bolt and two gaskets, then slohow to change the fuel filter - 88271g06.gifct the fuel inlet hose from the fuel filter outlet.
Fig. 8: Remove the union bolt and two gaskets from the fuel filter, then disconnect the inlet hose from the filter
- Using a special wrhow to change the fuel filter - 88271g07.gif2020 or equivalent, disconnect the inlet pipe from the fuel filter. Remove the two bolts and the filter from the vehicle.
Fig. 9: Using a special how to change the fuel filter - 88271g08.gifnect the inlet pipe from the fuel filter
Fig. 10: Remove the two filter mounting bolts, then separate the filter from the vehicle
- Install the fuel filter with the two bolts and tighten them to 43 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
- Using the special wrench 09631-22020 or equivalent, connect the inlet pipe to the fuel filter. Tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). Using a torhow to change the fuel filter - 88271g09.giftighten with a fulcrum length of 11.81 inch (30cm). Install the fuel inlet hose to the filter outlet using new gaskets and union bolt. Tighten to 22 ft. lbs. 30 Nm).
Fig. 11: Install the filter inlet hose to the filter outlet, then tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm)
- Install the charcoal canister to the bracket. Connect the two EVAP hoses to the canister.
- Connect the air cleaner hose to the throttle body. Install the air cleaner cap together with the air how to change the fuel filter - prev.gifhose.
- Attach the IAT sensor wiring.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start thow to change the fuel filter - next.gife and check for leaks. Reset any various digital equipment such as radio memory and the clock if necessary.