Question about 1991 Ford Explorer
There are several problems and they are all related. Check plugs if they a white with gray ash buildup. Gap .054
1. Fuel pressure regulator, if it is ruptured fuel will be vacuumed straight into the the intake causing idle surge also in causes temperature fluctuation and poor performance. It will also cause lean running condition.
2. The Mass Airflow Sensor also has a huge impact on mixture, defective symptom was a knocking and clattering under load especially uphill. Cleaning will only give temporary fix.
3. Spark Plugs- Do not use Platinum plugs they run hotter than standard plugs!
4. Any intermittent starting problems are likely fuel pump related, when you turn the key in the ignition you should hear the pump running!!
5. Preventive maintenance is the key change your fuel filter at recommended intervals.
I have a 94 Explorer, it run very poorly after changing these items it runs great, restored power, idles great and great mileage again and finally no more temperature fluctuation.
Posted on Feb 22, 2011
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 26, 2014 | 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
Jan 20, 2014 | 1999 Ford Explorer
Aug 17, 2012 | 2000 Ford Explorer
Sep 08, 2011 | 1997 Ford Explorer AWD
Jul 12, 2011 | 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
Aug 06, 2010 | Ford Explorer Cars & Trucks
Mar 29, 2010 | 1991 Ford Explorer
Nov 22, 2009 | 1996 Ford Explorer
430 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: