Question about 1998 Ford Ranger SuperCab
My '98 Ranger with 4.0-V6 runs rough and gets about 12mpg. I have replaced nearly every emmisions sensor (MAF,MAP, all 3 - O2, air temp, TPS) and manually cleaned the injectors. I've replaced the plugs and wires ~2.5 years ago. I don't get any codes and even my local dealer doesn't get any codes from it. (Strangely enough, I replaced the TPS on a whim which they said was fine and got rid of some transmission problems.)
Some electrical interferance (popping/clicking with engine speed) shows up in my radio, but I don't know if that is related.
My father had the ECM on his '93 F250 go bad and showed no codes. Is this common on the '98 Ranger as well? Anything else to look for?
Not sure if anyone has helped you on this one, but try a few things to kinda elimate some causes.
1) pull the plug wires one at a time to see which cyclinders aren't hitting
2) you can check the resistance of the coil on both the primary and the secondary sides for correct resistence
3) check the wires for shorts etc, which prob aint the wires
4) you can do a compression test on the cyclinders that aint firing
5) if all those pass ohmn the injectors all of them, on a 98 not sure what the reading should be but my 92 is .15 and anything within a few ohmns within each other or they read nothing replace those injectors.
I just replaced all 6 on mine solved my no fire issue in cyc 5 and now the mis has came back. I've yet to dive in to start my checking all over again. but here's another place to look, there is a ignition module on the truck think it should be near the battery.
Posted on Apr 10, 2009
Try the egr valve,and pcv valve
Posted on Jul 07, 2008
You need to check the intake manifold gasket and if that is fine check your upper intake maifold , where the egr valve connects it might have melted down and that is all caused by a faulty catalytic converter i have a 98 ranger and had/have the same problem
Posted on Jan 20, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 31, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 26, 2013 | 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Jan 10, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Nov 24, 2009 | 2002 Kia Sportage
Oct 27, 2009 | 1998 Ford Ranger SuperCab
Oct 20, 2009 | 2000 Toyota Camry
Nov 23, 2008 | 1999 Ford Ranger SuperCab
284 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!