Question about Mercury Cougar
DTC P0401 - Insufficient EGR Flow
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor EGR (DPFE). These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. The P0401 code means that OBD detected an insufficient amount of EGR.
Causes: A code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
* The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
* There is a blockage in the EGR (tube), most likely carbon buildup
* The EGR valve is faulty
* The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum
Possible Solutions: In fixing this code, it is quite common for people to just replace the EGR valve only to have the OBD code return. The EGR valve is not always the culprit.
* Use a vacuum pump and pull the EGR valve open while monitoring engine RPM's & DPFE voltage. There should be a noticable difference in RPM's with the EGR open
* Clean out the EGR valve and/or tubing to remove deposits
* Check the voltage at the DPFE, compare to specified values (refer to a repair manual for your specific model)
* Replace the DPFE sensor (with a good quality / OEM one)
* Replace the EGR valve
DTC P1401 - Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic Sensor circuit High Voltage
I think that you need a new DPFE; first check it, you could also have something restricted. There are ports in the throttle body that can cause this as well. Check THIS LINK.
Posted on Nov 04, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 19, 2018 | Mercury Cougar Cars & Trucks
May 05, 2015 | Mercury Cars & Trucks
Jan 18, 2015 | Mercury Cars & Trucks
Jun 01, 2014 | 2002 Acura RL 3.5
Jun 23, 2012 | 2002 Ford E-Series
Aug 31, 2011 | 2002 Hyundai Accent
Dec 26, 2009 | 1992 Mercury Cougar
Aug 12, 2008 | 2001 Mercury Sable
1,110 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: