Question about 1999 Hyundai Accent
How to prevent the transmission from damage
(The filter usually is screen type and can be cleaned when remove bottom cover. but this is not to be done at regular maintenance inspection.)
- Regularly check your parking space for leaks. Doesn't matter, is it the engine oil leak, power steering fluid or transmission fluid; if you discover any, get it fixed before it caused something serious.
- Once in a while check the transmission fluid level and condition. Not all cars however have the automatic transmission dipstick, in some cars, for example, in late Volkswagen models, the transmission fluid can only be checked by the dealer. Consult with your owner's manual for details. If the transmission fluid level is too low, there is a leak somewhere that needs to be fixed.
- Change the fluid as often as it said in your owner's manual or when it becomes too dark (rather brown than red) or dirty.
Also, keep in mind that an automatic transmission can not be drained completely - there is always some transmission fluid left inside the transmission (the torque converter, in the valve body, etc.) which means you only can change about %60 of the fluid at once. This is one more reason to change it more often.
- Use only the same type of the transmission fluid as specified in the owner's manual or on the dipstick. Some vehicles (e.g Dodge Caravan) are very sensitive to fluid type
- Never shift to the Reverse or Parking until the car comes to a complete stop.
- Never shift from the Parking mode when engine rpm is higher than normal idle.
- Always hold a brakes down when shifting from Parking.
- The automatic transmission can be damaged if towing with the drive wheels on the road. Always use a dolly or place powered wheels on the towing platform (if the vehicle is front wheel drive - tow it from the front leaving rear wheels on the road.
Posted on Jun 12, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 02, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Sep 19, 2014 | 1995 BMW 525i Sport
Jul 12, 2014 | 2001 Volkswagen Golf
Nov 21, 2013 | 1998 Honda Prelude
Mar 15, 2013 | Audi A6 Cars & Trucks
May 03, 2010 | 2003 Kia Sedona
Oct 30, 2009 | 2002 Land Rover Freelander
Jul 13, 2009 | 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Jul 02, 2009 | 1994 Mazda 323
1,788 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: