Question about 2002 GMC Envoy
Factors that can disable starting the engine are:
1. if automatic transmission, should be in Park or Neutral. In some instances, you may need to move the shift lever a couple of time to trigger the hidden switch;
2. anti-theft/alarm system. You may need to check the connectors, disable or the electronic key and try several times;
3. Starting system - the issue is might be with the starter system. The starter system is initiated at the ignition switch when the key is turned to start. At this point, the ignition switch then provides +12VDC to a starter relay (if the vehicle has got one) or straight to the starting solenoid. The relay is but a remote switch with slightly higher amperage capacity. The starter relay then engages and supplies +12VDC to the staring solenoid. The starting solenoid then performs two (2) functions. It provides the switching action (hundreds amps) from the battery heavy cable to the actual starter motor. The solenoid likewise pushes a small pinion gear along the shaft of the starter motor to engage the ring gear. The ring gear is of course on the edge of the flywheel which in turn is attached to the crankshaft.
Starter system problems could be corrected by:
1. check battery, battery cables and connections;
2. charge the battery if required;
3. clean brushes and guides of brush holders of the starter motor;
4. clean the commutator and commutator segments;
5. check/replace the armature or field coils if determined to be defective;
6. in some extreme cases it could be the drive pinion or the flywheel gear ring is defective.
7. often it is the big switch that the solenoid activates that looses contacts causing no +12V internally to the motor.
8. Most likely would be a defective starter relay or the IGN switch itself. Relative to this, you might try and check the connectors/terminals and electrical joints.
In the picture below, the upper portion is the starter solenoid while the one below it is the actual starter.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Jun 08, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 18, 2016 | 2002 GMC Envoy
Jun 23, 2012 | 2002 GMC Envoy
Jan 15, 2012 | 2006 GMC Envoy
May 09, 2011 | 2002 GMC Envoy
Sep 28, 2010 | 2002 Isuzu Trooper
May 21, 2010 | 2002 Ford Escape
Jan 25, 2010 | 2002 GMC Envoy
Sep 03, 2009 | 2007 GMC Envoy Denali
Dec 29, 2008 | 2002 GMC Envoy
May 19, 2008 | 2002 GMC Envoy
475 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: